The New School Prayer

Oatka

From an anonymous poster -- too bad, as he/she deserves a couple of "goodonyas". http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a386f9a7a6487.htm

"Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule.
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.
If Scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a federal matter now.
Our hair can be purple or orange or green,
That's no offense, it's the freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise,
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.
For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the State.
We're allowed to cuss & dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues & cheeks.
They've outlawed guns; but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.
We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the unwed daddy, our Senior King.
It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong,
We're taught that such "judgments" do not belong.
We can get our condoms, & birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires & totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No Word of God must reach this crowd.
It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot,
My soul please take."

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

How sad that so many are not offended by vulgarity, blasphemy, and the like, but let the name of Jesus be mentioned and they are greatly offended. Thanks for the post. Jerry

Here I go again. First the post doesn't mention Jesus. Second, since not everyone is Christian, a school prayer mentioning Jesus
is very inappropriate even avoiding the general issue of prayer in the school.

I have no problem with after class use of
public school for a religious meeting or the like. However, during specific offical state sanctioned classes, we can do without specific faiths. Unless it is mine and I can impose it on you. :)

Oatka,
You've done all of us a great service by sharing the 'poem' with TFL. It really strikes home, those of us with children (and grandchildren). Thanks. But suddenly I'm afraid, again...

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

This whole debate about religion in school gives me flatulence.

So long as nobody is forced to participate actively in an event contrary to his/her beliefs, I find no cause for offense.

If you pray to the diety of your choice in my presence, I need not participate; but, as a sign of respect for another person's beliefs, standing quietly while they say a prayer neither cuts off my leg nor offends my God.

So long as each person has the opportunity to ensure his faith is represented, I see no lack of equal treatment, i.e. no offense.

If we are so intolerant as to be offended by the devout prayer of someone of a different faith, then we have an additional definition of religous hypocrisy.

Whatever my belief may be, it is not so fragile that I must protect it by outlawing a minor expression of faith by someone with different beliefs.

Next we will ask Daddy Government to prohibit public wearing of religious "tokens" such as crosses, ancient Egyptian artifacts, six-pointed stars, etc.... Grrrr.

I've got a belly full of this concept, folks. Because it is the same type of intolerance that says if *I* hate guns then *you* dare not have them. Same type of argument.

Sorry, Dennis, but you're wrong.

Christian symbols will be legal, but frowned on. Any relgious tokens New Age-ish, pagan, or contrary to the Dead-White-Male-dominated, intractible, conservative, non-liberal Christian sects, will be allowed and embraced.

Shame on you, thought you knew better.

LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited January 02, 2000).]

Wellll. Could be. Kinda like smoking, huh? Only outside with "others of your kind"?
(Insert liberal smirk here___) ;)

(((Tums. Where's my Tums?)))

I have to apologize if I have seemed rude in
my response. I meant no harm. It was not a personal attack on any TFL member.

My point is not PC. I would simply prefer that state schools do not engage in endorsements of majority faiths. Nor should
they endorse whacky new world religions, either. A school prayer that mentions a specific faith is not a minor matter to me.
It is something of an imposition. Hence my
:)

For what it is worth, it is not that long ago in my history that members of my family could not be hired for jobs unless they faked being Christians. This is not right.

While, I feel bad if I was insensitive or rude, I really think we do not want our schools to have religious services as official parts of the classroom. It might work for you if you are in the majority. It doesn't work for others.

After school groups, wear what religious
symbols you want - fine. Do you remember recently that a school tried to ban the Star of David as a gang sign? There was an argument that this could not be done as crosses weren't banned and certainly one could find them in graffiti. The school board came to its senses. Both can be worn. That is a good solution rather than banning both.

I could go on with the topic but I think my point is made and I am sorry if I presented it badly.

I'm familiar with the concept. My grandfathers were told "No Irish need apply!" So one got a job by saying he was Welsh! (Nobody had any idea what folks from Wales sounded like. ;))

Each of us has a history where our ancestors had it very difficult for various reasons.It will always be that way. What do you think would cause it to be any different?
I would not be offended by a school prayer mentioning Jesus or Budda or Ala or whomever .With a very few exceptions, any religion is better than none. Can I have an AMEN on that? It is the parents' responsibility to educate their children in things religious. Praying to another diety should not be seen as offensive, only as a waste of time. In this age of tolerance and diversity isn't it strange that it doesnt extend to religion too?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Back