The new King Cobra and hot loads

mark weber

Inactive
Hi, 2nd post. Only other revolver I ever had was an old S&W Centennial 38. Otherwise just semis. But I just bought a 3 inch Colt KC because it felt so balanced to me. There's the expected online uproar about how it's horrible, it's great etc. So I'll just focus on a 'popular' point of contention with this little brother of the Python. Some say that if you plan on firing .357 with it, exactly what it was engineered to fire, expect to crack the forcing cone, especially with 125 grains.

I do not want to obsess on this issue and did my 'due diligence' and talked to some people that have expertise, read articles and stats, and most of these presumably objective people see it as a non-issue. Like, after you put a few thousand rounds of 125 or 158 etc through it, then let's see.....

Then you read guys saying, its fine for 38 special and that's about it unless you want to blow your hand off.

I've only had it a few weeks and have tried 125 grain Remington .357, and 38 and 38+p and it seems pretty perfect to me. It sights surprisingly well at ranges beyond what I expected but I don't want to divert.

I don't know if I'm looking for reassurance or I'm just curious if any other people who are familiar with the 3'' KC have an opinion on why it would be any more or less susceptible to damage then any other 357, and why? All I can imagine is possibly less pressure dissipation with the shorter barrel.....but I'm no metallurgist.

I suppose Will Smith's or Putin's antics are more on people's minds these days then this pondering, but there you are.......

Back