The new (Christensen Arms Ranger) Vs the Old (Remington 521)

Rob228

I'll preface this by saying I haven't shot a rifle since December, but made it out to the range today to try out the 521 with its new glass and compare it to my Christensen Arms Ranger at 50 yards with assorted ammo. The 521 is wearing a Leupold Mk 3 HD 4-12, the Christensen a Vortex Diamondback 6-24. The reticle on the Leupold is significantly thicker than the Vortex which may account for some of the difference. Overall they both shot fairly well, there was a wind shifting from 12 O'clock to about 2 O'clock which may account for some of the looser groups, but it is likely the Indian not the arrow in this case. Was shooting with a front rest and rear bags. Eley club looks like it did the best out of the 521, Tenex in the Ranger.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image1-1.jpeg
    image1-1.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image0-1.jpeg
    image0-1.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for posting.

The itch for a really accurate .22 is currently upon me. I've handled the Ranger in Scheel's store and liked it. I've also handled a Bergara and liked it too.

Then there's always the Kidd if I want to sell a kidney. (If I ordered one today by 6:00 pm I just might live long enough (based on current actuarial tables) to see it delivered.
https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Supergrade-Premium-Rifle-Custom-Build_p_159.html

I'd be totally embarrassed to own an Anschutz at this stage in my life so that's out.

With all the name dropping I've done I'll also admit the Savage with the Accutrigger has piqued me too and I could just pay upfront for one of those with no problem and no stinkeye from any significant other in my life.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
With all the name dropping I've done I'll also admit the Savage with the Accutrigger has piqued me too and I could just pay upfront for one of those with no problem and no stinkeye from any significant other in my life.

For what the Lapua and Eley Tenex cost, it is very much on my mind that my Savage .17 HMR will outshoot both of these ;)

My Ranger had to go back to get a new barrel, I was getting ruptured cases. Their customer service was great BUT if I did it again I think I'd go with the Bergara.

Back