The National Rifle Association of Norway

icecool

Inactive
The National Rifle Association of Norway (dfs): http://www.dfs.no/en/
Here are some youtube links from the more action filled competitions in dfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lULAcV2Ror8&feature=related
inn this competiton the goal is to hit 3 targets at different distanses as fast as possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoL-JceU0Wo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfY899uNOk0
in this comptetiton the goal is ti hit 2 targets as many time as posible inn 2x25sec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0EthZeWKz4
this is called "feltskyting" and involves shoting at unknown distanses up 650 meters

the standard weapon for all this is the sauer 200 str, mauser m98 and the krag jørgensen can also compete at the same level but the sauer normaly shoots better. the same program is also shot whit the military weapon Ag-3 and hunting rifles.

Sorry for my bad english but i wanted to give you a taste of some of the shooting sports inn norway. Enjoy

That's really cool that Krags are still used for competition. Now if only I could read Norwegian ... :D

Welcome!

Shooting in Norway

Very interesting videos! Thanks for posting them.
It seemed to me that some shooters keep their thumb and index fingers on the bolt handle for their whole course of fire. Is this in fact the case? If so, with which finger do they operate the trigger? They are quite adept at rapid fire with these bolt guns.

the first videos shows felthurtig(stuper) and stang, in those competitions the shooters often uses the ring finger on the trigger and tumb/index finger constant on the bolt to reload faster. Often the bolt guns (sauer 200 str , mauser m98 , and krags) out shoot the military semi-auto ag-3 in these competitions. Mostly due to better sigths and precision.
The rapid fire competitions are only a litle part off dfs, the most popular competetions are precision shooting at 15m(miniatyrskyting) 100m 200m and 300m(baneskyting).
Feltskyting are also quite fun due to the added difficulty of not knowing the distance when shooting at small targets whit iron sights inn difficult conditions.

here is a video from one of the finals inn baneskyting @ ls2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwRtHO9sfk

i belive the range @ ls2008 was 200 meters. the targets are 1 meter in diameter and the inner circle is 5cm the black part of the target is 40cm

Hørte jeg stammens hyl?

Welcome! :)

If you don't mind my butting in...

Doc, the 10-ring is 10 cm at 200, or 15 cm at 300 meters. In both cases 1.7 moa. The 5 cm (7.5 cm) x-ring is only used for tie-breakers.

All the shooting, regardless of position or time limit, is done at the same target and at the same distance, 200 or 300 meters depending on the facilities.

The various forms of "field target" shooting in the other videos are done at improvised ranges at irregularly shaped targets at unknown distances. No two matches are the same.

I have a strange question, having read a fascinating article about the British commando raids on Vaagso and a few other places in '41 or '42. The article is in "Military History" magazine, January '03.

Do you have some idea as to which type of rifles were used by the Norwegian resistance?
Were there many Lee Enfields, or different versions of the Mauser?

i doubt that mausers was used beacause the mausers used by the norwegian army where leftowers from the germans afer the war. I dont know what weapons they used buth i can try to do some digging later today. I will let you know if i find any info.

Re Norwegian resistance in WWII

The commando raids mentioned above were not so much a resistance thing as regular military operations. The raids were carried out by British commandoes, a number of whom were Norwegians in British uniform. The Norwegians were of course using British equipment.

Norwegian forces in Norway capitulated in June 1940, after two months of fighting. The legitimate Norwegian government evacuated to Britain and set up shop in London. Tens of thousands of Norwegians eventually served in British uniform. These were Norwegian units, but for legal and practical reasons integrated in the British forces. The difference from I think all other such "free forces" was that the Norwegian government bought and paid cash for every scrap of equipment used by our forces, from personal weapons to fighter aircraft, destroyers and submarines.

I guess you're asking about the resistance in Norway itself, the Home Front. This was not quite the Hollywood cliché of a rag-tag band of semi-bandits taking pot shots at German soldiers whenever they felt like it. At the end of the war, the military wing of the Norwegian Home Front consisted of nearly 50,000 men, well trained, well diciplined and very well organized, taking their orders from the Allied Supreme Command through the Norwegian governement-in-exile. They were a regular, if lightly armed, military force, they wore uniform (armbands) in accordance with the Geneva Conventions.

Arms? Some guns were of course hidden from the occupants when they tried to confiscate them, but most of the equipment was brought in by fishing boat and airdrops from Britain. I don't have any numbers, but I guess mostly Lee-Enfields and Bren guns, towards the end of the war M1 carbines in relatively large numbers, as well as M1 Thompsons. Whatever was available. If there was any one "standard" weapon, I guess it would be the Sten gun. Cheap, available to be parachuted in in large quantities. Before the RAF had the capacity to airdrop all the required equipment, more than 1000 Stens were produced locally, most of them right under the noses of the occupation forces. "Camouflaged" Sten gun parts were even approved by German quality control - the Germans obviously had no idea what the parts were really for.

To put the numbers in perspective, in 1940 the total population of Norway was less than 3 million. The Wehrmacht occupation force fluctuated between 350,000 and 400,000. At the capitulation May 8th 1945 there were 385,000 German soldiers, sailors and airmen in the country, plus a considerable number of civilian German "camp followers" such as bureaucrats, Gestapo etc.

That concludes today's lesson, I think.
Any questions, just ask. I may or may not be able to answer. :)

Thanks Ultima:

Very interesting. Does Norway have a "Veterans Day" or "Memorial Day" as in the US, or do some countries want their citizens to foget about such courageous people?

We have large swarms of citizens here who believe that freedom is not paid in vast losses of lives, ande that it is cheap.

No "Memorial Day". We haven't been involved in nearly enough colonial wars to have any tradition celebrating returning warriors.

That said, our Constitution Day is May 17th. There is a tradition for celebrating in a big way, but that was illegal for five years, as was the use of the national flag. The surrender of German forces in Norway was on May 8th. That did not exactly put a dampener on the celebrations in 1945... or indeed ever since.

Those who gave their lives for our freedom are remembered in the speeches, flowers are put on graves and monuments, all as part of the Constitution Day arrangements all over the country. So I guess in many ways that is our version of a memorial day.

I think most people in this country realize that freedom isn't free. But of course many don't like the idea and prefer to think they're entitled to be fat and rich and free, even if deep down they know better.

To get back to the original topic, did you know that the National Rifle Association of Norway receives financial support from the Department of Defence? 1/10 of one per cent of the national defence budget. What would your anti-gun people say if the NRA got 560 million dollars a year from the .gov? :)

Stangskyting

As a Krag shooter I am very interested as to where one can purchase those Krag Reloader Clips. They are very nice.

Back