The most precise off-the-shelf ammo?

TXAZ

So you don't want to get into reloading, how do you go about finding the most precise / consistent ammo for target shooting?

You buy a variety and try them all; once you find the brand and loading that works the best, you buy it online in bulk

accurate ammo

This is a trial and error procedure.

My semi custom Ruger MK I competition gun loves CCI standard above all others.

My Hi Power functions without issue with Winchester ammo.

Pick up several different makes of the same bullet weight and design of the caliber you want to investigate and fire away. First from a rest then off-hand.

If money is no object, here's four good starting points. Federal Premium Gold Medal, Hornady ELD Match, Hornady Match, Lapua Match.

The only "precise" ammo I have ever sought out were 22 LR. That was a combination of trial and error and reading what worked well for other people so I would try a particular brand. Once I found what worked well enough for me, I bought A LOT and often by the case when I could afford it. Cost was always important. But I never really shot bulk pack ammo over the years.

With centerfire ammo, i have never really gone into shooting precision for the most part. I practice when I needed to and it was fun, but usually there was a reason to practice.... hunting, self defense and so forth. Only 22 got shot indiscriminately and strictly for the joy.

For centerfire rifle hunting, the furtherest I ever shot was 100 yds (for deer). Did wood chuck hunt and shot out to about 250 yds. I mostly just wanted reasonable accuracy and was not target crazy. I shifted to handgun only for hunting after awhile and that was a hell of a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Cartridge? Type of shooting? Range?
It may not be worth the effort to find ammo that shoots 0.1MOA at 100 yards if the requirement is more of an action shooting scenario with multiple rounds in a short period of time where the shooter is usually the limiting factor.

And some cartridges may not have many options.

If you don't have a barreled action like others use to shoot tiny groups with such ammo, best wishes.

The only other best thing to have is marksmanship skills in the test method used to verify the ammo performance.

Back