THE MONTANA RIFLEMAN and the Whelen

• Thread starter Thread starter CP
  • Start date Start date

CP

Inactive
Does anyone have any experience with the barrels and workmanship at THE MONTANA RIFLEMAN in Kalispell, MT? I am thinking about using one of their barrels and having a .35 Whelen built on a stainless steel classic Model 70 action. Do I really need a 24" barrel or can I get all I need from factory loads with a 22" barrel in the Whelen?. What barrel contour specifications would you recommend? I want her built light. CP.

Sounds like your working up a good gun. I'm a big fan of the new Winchester Classic Stainless actions, and finding a "long action" model won't be a problem...

I used to stress about losing velocity by going with a shorter tube, I prefer 20"-22" but I never noticed any difference in what I shot or a significant trajectory change. As the .35 Whelan shines out to 200-300 yds, you could probably get away with a 22" barrel. If you need more velocity, you'll have to step up to the .358 Norma Mag.

Although I haven't used Montana Rifleman, I'm certain they can do an excellent job for you. Tell the smith what weight you'd like and he'll recommend a contour.

Back