The Model 70

o.g.g.

Inactive
I own a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. I purchased it new around 1996, and have used it very little, as the cartridge just doesn't interest me.

Does anyone know if a gunsmith could refit this rifle to accept the 300 H&H Magnum round? What would need to be done?

That rifle's receiver won't handle the .300 H&H round as it's too long. Win.70 receivers that did had a longer magazine cutout to hold the longer magazine needed. Years ago, I compared my pre-'64 Win. 70 .300 H&H to my .270 Win. one and they are different in that area. Don't know if the standard receiver could be remilled out to accept a H&H magazine, follower and follower spring. Remilling the bolt face plus replacing the extractor is easy.

You could probably rebarrel or rechamber it for one of the newer short 30 caliber magnums, or even a .300 Win. Mag., but if the H&H one's what you want, there are issues to overcome.

IF AND ONLY IF this could be done, it would require lengthening the action (I doubt it could be done due to this alone) and enlarging it for the fatter case, along with rechambering, magazine modifications, bolt modifications, etc... Personally, I would sell it and get a CZ550 action for the job.

What are you talking about?

Model 70s were offered in 300 H&H from the factory, there is no need to lengthen the action or modify the action for a fatter round. Yes, the magazine needs the longer box, the bolt stop needs to be modified, the bolt face opened, and the chamber needs to be opened up. Piece of cake. I would recommend a 300 Win Mag, but if you want the 300 H&H, get it.

Call John Taylor at Taylor Machine 253-445-4073

Model 70s were offered in 300 H&H but its a bit longer then the standard action.

I just looked at my 375 H&H M-70, and compared it to my other Model 70s.

Not gonna be easy, a lot of machining.

May I ask why the H&H and not the 300 Win? The 300 Win would just require opening the bolt face and running a chamber reamer in your existing barrel.

The 300 H&H isn't going to give you that much more then the '06 with modern components.

Just magazine work and opening up the bolt face. I dont know why you would want an H&H, but I dont know why I want some of the weird chamberings I have either.:D

I would go for a .300 H&H over a .300WM just for the classiness of the cartridge, the old school flavor with modern performance, the feeling maybe, just maybe, I could grow a mustache and get a pith helmet and tour Africa...

Not enough sugar for a dime. Spend the money on a new 300 RUM, or a 338 RUM if you want a different answer to the why.

With careful handloads a 30-06 will come close to 300 H&H loads from the factory.

If you just want something differnet, and with what you have, my first choice would be 338/06. A 35 Whelen or 280 would also be good options.

You can make a 458 Win Mag on the '06 length chamber if you want something different,

Might Kick a bit, mine does.

It's just a push feed action.

It's already a perfectly good 30-06.

Sell it as it is and buy a better rifle in the chambering you want.

Holds one less round in mag and requires a magnum follower as well. Magnum brass for any caliber is going to be very expensive.

The 300H&H is like my `71 Norton -- a classic that turns heads whether moving or stopped..
It's also like any other British [automotive] product -- an inefficient wrench queen by today's engineering standards.

With that slightly-bent analogy in mind....
Rechamber for the 300WinMag and be better off all round.

might be a perfect candidate for a Ackley improved 30 06. simple re-chambering job.would equal 300 ouch and ouch without the head aches of brass etc. just a though, bobn

It's just a push feed action.

No, it is not.

Magnum brass for any caliber is going to be very expensive.

I already have the Cartridges for this.

With that slightly-bent analogy in mind....
Rechamber for the 300WinMag and be better off all round.

As mentioned above, I already possess a .300 Winchester Magnum.

might be a perfect candidate for a Ackley improved 30 06.

Might be a lot of things, but I'm only interested in one of them. So...

You can build pretty much anything you want off the action.

or

That rifle's receiver won't handle the .300 H&H round as it's too long.

You guys simply kill me.

The 300H&H is about ¼ longer than the `06.

Will the magazine (much less the receiver ejection cutout) handle that?

Ok OGG, since you dont like my advice I will alter my opinion. You can not build anything off your model 70 action except a .30-06. You cant even build a .270 Win. It was made an 06 and it can never change.:mad:

Hey guys...,
It's only a minor difference

300HHMagAnd30-06.JPG

Back