The Mighty Dan Wesson rears is ugly head

boing

Out of boredom I rented a S&W 629 at the range a couple of months ago, and realized that my purchase priorities had be mysteriously altered. Must Have A .44 Magnum!

I couldn't stomach a Smith (don't start!), and I came thiiiis close to holding my nose a buying a Ruger (don't start!). Then a month passed where I couldn't get to the range:( and my Big Bore lust began to wane... But wait! I finally managed to stumble in for some 9mm fun and...Lo and Behold! There sits a BIG Dan Wesson, blued, 8 inch barrel, well-used but tight. I think it even had my name on it.:)

I have been saved! Deliverance for the low, low price of $350!

It's on layaway. :D

Check the chambers.

A friend of mind has a Dan Wesson .44, and the chambers were so rough it looked as if someone had run a tap into each one. Dan Wesson was still in business then, and they first polished out the chambers; they were now oversize. They ended up replacing the cylinder.

After this repair, it was an accurate, durable revolver. All that weight made it a pleasure to shoot, even with full power .44 mags.

I just got a Dan Wesson 744 and the chambers are tight and clean. The whole pistol is EXTREAMLY well made; makes my old ruger redhawk look/feel like a club.

BB

Did you happen to get an entire barrel set with your DW?.

I've always though of that being their best selling point, the ability to change barrels from anything from target length to Concealed Carry size.

Good SHooting
RED

No barrel set at that price. But 8 inches is the CCW barrel...it even comes with an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster to prove it.:D

Aside from a few spots of rust on the barrel shroud (just under the muzzle), the gun looks to be in good shape. The chambers are smooth, and the bore isn't pitted or anything.

So far, the only problem seems to my spelling in the thread title. :)

Which Dan Wesson:

The history of Dan Wesson is more storied than an Arkansas Land Deal. The gun is well designed and will give excellent service. I'd be wary of 'experimental' loads that some garage reloader might have shot through the gun, but other than that it sounds like a great deal. DW's are back in production and, if company literature is anything to be believed, it's in good hands. Check out:

http://www.dan-wesson.com/

My only complaint about the DW design...

...is the cylinder latch location. You can't operate it one-handed. I know, that sounds weird, but I can load any other wheelgun one-handed if I have to. Times when a one-hand reload is critical are few and far between but they do happen, as the FBI found out in Miami in '86. The last agent to fire and end the fight did so after reloading a .38snub one-handed after taking major damage to the left (weak, fortunately) arm.

Jim

Yup, when I first stuck my thumb out to release the cylinder, I missed the latch because it wasn't there. It was there. Oops.

As for reloads, it's just a range gun. I'm more likely to use my STG-58 for carry...it would be easier to conceal. :)

BB, since you asked...

We're assuming your strong hand is OK, your weak is screwed up. For simplicity's sake, we'll say you're right handed - Southpaw is also possible.

1) Pop the cylinder release open with your thumb. On S&W, Taurus and Charter it's a push, on Colt it's a pull, on Ruger it's a button. On a Dan Wesson, this is where you're screwed.

2) While holding the release, snap the cylinder out. If it won't snap-swing out, bang the right side of the cylinder on your knee while holding the release. Again, none of this is possible with a Wesson.

3) While squatting, ram the ejector rod against the rear face of your right thigh, with the barrel pointed upwards. Give the empties a final shake to clear them.

4) While still squatting, stick the empty gun barrel-down between your knees, using your inner thighs to hold the gun with the cylinder open. (Note: holding the gun in this fashion CAN be done entirely with the legs. If you have any use of the off-hand at all, resting it against the cylinder helps here but it's not 100% necessary.

(Note2: This whole thing can also be done seated on one's butt, and it's actually easier. Per one source, that's what the agent at Miami86 did when preparing his final attack. You have to raise the right knee to do the eject stroke on the inside of the knee area with.)

5) Load the cylinder, preferrably with a speedloader.

6) Grab grip and push the cylinder shut against your leg, or snap it. Either way, you can maintain proper safe muzzle direction during the time the cylinder is closed.

The snaps aren't good for the gun but...if you're ducked down behind a car and rounds are incoming, you may find yourself less than concerned, or so I've heard.

Jim

Jim, with the Dan Wesson just grab the gun from under the trigger guard and pull the release down with the index finger while pushing the cylinder the the thumb (right handed person). It is slower and clumsier since you change grips, but it can be done.

Another way to acomplish the one-handed open on Dan Wesson- relax your grip while tilting the guns barrel end upwards, so the axis point is your trigger finger. Let the gun rotate until the backstrap is between your thumb and first finger, so you can push the release with your thumb and pop the cylinder out with palm pressure. No sweat.

The reason I asked is for the rest of the operation. One handed reloading of a revolver, that is. I'd love to watch you run this drill Jim, ought to be quite a sight:)

The DW is a very well built and good looking 44. I had one for years (deer hunting) topped off with an Aimpoint. It was a real acurate shooter from 100 yards. My only complaint was is was a pain to carry in a hip holster due to its weight. I guess you could compare it carrying a hog leg around on your hip. When hunting I used a hunting shoulder holster. When I went to the range I'd carry it in my gun case.

I traded the DW off for a 06 a fews years back and now I'm planning on buying a new 44 mag. being a S&W 629 3" barrel.

Have a good day.

Turk

No $350 for a used Dan Wesson .357 is not a good price. It should be worth between $200 to $250. Dan Wessons aren't bad guns but they are a little on the crude side. Sorta like a Ruger.

bb - when i went through the academy, they taught the drill a little different. personally i think it looks pretty frantic too but...any shelter in a storm.

after the cylinder is out, and stabalised with your thumb through the frame window, you were to ram the head of the ejector rod against the edge of your cover or boot heel. with the initial "stick" broken, you turn the barrel upward and operate the ejection rod with your finger.

here's the fun part...insert the barrel into your waistband (in front of your zipper) with the cylinder outside the belt and reload with speedloader. close cylinder while withdrawing barrel from pants.

loads of fun and great potential for giggles too. i took the semi-auto class as soon as possible, so i could carry my combat commander

Interesting...

The waistband style allows more freedom of movement, the "between the legs" gag kinda forces you to crouch down behind cover of some sort. They probably both have their place :).

Jim

Back