The mess after the fun.

Sling Shot

After shooting say 300 rounds of reloaded wadcutters through your favorite wheel, there is usually a mess to clean up--powder and lead fouling. Some lead fouling is worse with some guns dependent especially upon the speed of the round and the smoothness of the barrel.

What I need to know is what is the best cleaning solution to use in your experience of cleaning lead fouling? Also, what cleaning solution is everybody using to soak their wheels in before cleaning? Thanks, Sling Shot

I use hoppes. I would start by cleaning the outer surfaces with a dry cloth . Using a brass brush(looks like a big toothbrush) to work on the back of the barrel and the front of the cylinder.Cover inside and out with hoppes and let it set overnight. dry off and use a brass brush to take out the lead. if the leading is really bad use an oversize brush and lots of elbow grease.clean up and oil.I use break free.

The best thing for cleaning lead out of your barrel is to fire a couple of cylinders full of jacketed ammo before you leave the range.
This will significantly reduce the time required to clean your bore.

-Mk.IV

Opps , I have been using # 9 on my nickel mod. 13-3 , What should I
use? Will the Hoppes#9 ruin tha plating?:confused:
Thanks James

IOSSO Bore Cleaner Removes It Fast

The stuff is magic on lead and copper fouling. I switched to it a year and a half ago. What used to take me 30 minutes to an hour to clean takes 5 minutes now.

Hoppes on nickle finish - - -

If you must use this fine old product on a nickle-plated arm, be sure to keep it from extended contact. Nickled guns are typically plated first with copper and then with Ni. If there's a break in the Ni, the solvent will attack the Cu and you will get flakes of finish coming off.

I've been okay with using brass brush--NOT stainless steel--NEVER steel, for it is harder than the nickle--with solvent on it. A few passes through bore and chambers and then remove it promptly with at least dry patches. I wash it off with soap and hot water, myself. Use of a TIGHTLY fitting patch (patches) which have to be forced through the bore drags out a lot of leading.

Another trick: Buy copper pot scrubbers at the grocery store--I use the Chore Boy brand-- cut the staple that holds them in a pad. Unroll the copper mesh fabric. Use shears to trim it into widths slightly longer than the bristles of your brass bore brush, about three inches long. Wrap one around the brush and force this through chambers, first, and then the bore. Use it dry first--Maybe you won't even have to use solvent.

The copper mesh is softer than the steel of your pistol, and harder than the lead deposits. The edges of the mesh strands grabs the lead and pulls it off the metal. Three or four passes takes most lead out of my barrels. Then I run the tight-fitting patches through, and then dry it out.

Best of luck,
Johnny

Before shooting spray your cylinder, yoke and upper strap with a compensator cleaner/spray. It allows you to wipe off fouling, lead and copper with a cloth. I use "Carter's" that I got at Dillon. I've seen other brands, but they are hard to find. If anyone knows of a cheap commercial product that will do the same, please email me (I was thinking maybe "Pam" or something like that.:D

Thanks everybody for your assistance. I would still like to know what type of chemical solution I could soak my cylinder in because they are so dang hard to clean. I am thinking Ed's Red because it would be economical. Sling Shot

Sling Shot,

I use my own modified version of Ed's Red, not to just soak, but to imurse and scrub the entire handgun it. I've been cleaning my guns after every range session for a couple of years now with this mix:

1/2 gal Mineral Spirits
1/2 gal Kerosene
1 quart Rislone
1 pint Marvels' Mystery Oil
1 quart Auto Trans Fluid (Dextron)

I shoot a lot of cast bullets with Bullseye powder, so after a range session (250+ rounds)my guns are ready for a serious cleaning.

I normally let the gun soak while I decap my brass and get it tumbling. Then I scrub the gun, while it is still in the plastic bucket of solvent, with bronze and nylon brushes. Even the dirtiest gun doesn't require more than a couple minutes of scrubbing. Let the solvent drain off (30 seconds) and wipe off the excess on the guns exterior with a few paper towels. A couple of dry patches through the bore and cylinders, and you'r done.

Good Luck...

Joe

Back