The merits of a FA .454Casull

MadScientist

Just for kicks, I was thinking about the possibility of getting a .454Casull. Besides, my .357 is starting to feel pretty tame now and I figure I want something with four times the recoil energy just so I know I'm shooting something.

I read in the latest addition of American Hunter that Freedom Arms makes the best one. But good grief! Is it more that twice as nice as the Ruger Super Redhawk. The prices suggest so.

I own three Freedom Arms .454 Casulls. I love each and every one of them. So will you if you like quality products. They are as fine as a Swiss Watch and as solid as a bank vault. Are they worth twice as much as a Ruger? No my friend they are worth ten times more than a Ruger. I own several Ruger revolvers and their is just no comparision. Life is to short to not own the best. Dig deep and have no regrets. Man, its just something about touching off a hand cannon.

Gun Tests compared 3 different .454 Casulls. Here is a brief statement on what they had to say.

Freedom Arms Premier - "Our recommendation: Don't Buy. This gun's heavy frame and light barrel just don't kill enough recoil for shooters to handle the .454 Casull comfortably, in our view."

Taurus Raging Bull - "Our recommendation: Buy it. The company built the Raging Bull as right as possible for the .454 Casull. "

Ruger Super Redhawk - "Our recommendation: Marginal Buy. Imperfections in the gun, such as cylinder bind, should be curable. But overall, the Taurus is a better choice, in our estimation."

Hope this helps.

FOR POWER and RECOIL

Suggest you'll be better served with a 45 Colt Redhawk (stainless 5.5").

This variation will not destroy your youthful wrist joints (when wearing Pachmayr Decelerators), will cost less to acquire and shoot, is impressive enough to wow your friends, and offers you more useful choices.

Or get the 454 SRH; will hold up to considerable whiz-bang ammo.

I own both the Ruger and FA. I find the recoil to be much more managable with the FA. Add to that the fact that is a way better gun overall and I consider it a winner.

The Ruger is a nice gun at a reasonable price and all, but it's comparing apples to luxury yachts.

Gun Tests rates the Freedom Arms a don't buy due to the recoil? I would suggest that the people at Gun Tests not use a limp wristed panty wearing gunwriter to do their test. Little kids have fired the Freedom Arms revolvers in .454 with no damage. What good is the Taurus Raging Bull.hit if it is so heavy you'll never pack it. Same goes for the Ruger. The Freedom Arms revolver is one of the finest revolvers made and if you can't handle the recoil buy a .45 Colt. Or if you are a writer for Gun Test Magazine may I suggest something in a .22 with pink grips.

My gunnut buddy bought the 454 in the raging bull. Called it his $800 POS. Every fourty or fifty rounds something went wrong with it. After six months of aggrivation he finally traded it in on a new FA, and has been very happy with it. Is it twice the gun as a Super Redhawk? That is up to you. It's like comparing a Lexus and a Honda Civic. Both with get you from point A to point B.

<b>It's like comparing a Lexus and a Honda Civic</b>

Ok, thanks for all the input.
I just wanted to make sure they weren't selling a honda civic at a lexus price.

Don't just look at the guns,Just pick up a FA and cock it. You will hear and feel the quality. While you are at it try to compare the play in the cylinders with the other canidates. There is a definate and appreciable difference.

But does that mean the others suck? Of course not. The FA is pricey and I personally prefer the recoil of my DA guns over my FA. It is an awesome piece though that you will have a hard time finding a custom gun that is better, even when compared to the lowly Field grade FA.

-CAL

I have an FA Model 83 Field Grade 454 Casull. It's one helluva revolver. Beautifully made to very demanding specs. Two points I'd like to make: 1) Buy one used and save money. There are some guys who buy one of these bad boys and after shooting a few rounds through it just cannot take the recoil; sorta like the great number of Smith Model 29's 8 3/8" .44 Mags in gun stores available used after the great demand from "Dirty Harry" sent some buying only to find out it was way too much gun. They traded 'em in (I know, I got one). 2) Shoot the Winchester 250 gr. ammo instead of the 300 gr. ammo. There is a BIG difference in felt recoil, although that 300 gr. definitely qualifies as BLAMO AMMO! Bottom line, BUY ONE; you won't be sorry.

Back