The Manufacturers and the magnificent 35s

• Thread starter Thread starter CP
  • Start date Start date

CP

Inactive
I am absolutely baffled by the reluctance of the manufacturers to produce rifles in .35 Whelens and the .358 Winchesters. I accept that they did not sell well in the past, but I struggle with the notion that they would not sell in today's market. As is evident from the success of the Guide gun, Outfitter and Big Timber Carbine, markets do change. As you read many of the very well thought out posts on rifle boards, it is very easy to conclude that these two cartridges, with properly constructed bullets, are ideal for large North American big game hunting. I got around this inexplicable drought of 35s by having a .358 Win built on a stainless steel Model 77 Ruger with a laminated stock. However, I would still purchase, in a heartbeat, a Ruger model 77 and/or a Winchester model 70 in stainless steel if the manufacturers would produce either one or both of these classic chamberings.

Lots of folks are going gaga over the Guide Gun in 45-70,etc, for bear and close encounters with other,oft ferocious game. Seem to me that a Remington Pump Rifle in 35 Whelen would be a better choice.

CP. If you look around, and are a lucky person, Ruger did make rifles in .358 Win. and .35 Whelan. I have both, but they are blued. I don't believe any were made in stainless. I also have a custom Mauser in the Whelan round. No. Thet are not for sale.

Dave. Remington did make the pump gun in .35 Whelan. They may be discontinued though. You might get lucky and find one. I'm still looking.
I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why these rounds continue to fail. Winchester has discontinued the .358 ammo, and I've heard rumors that Remington may drop the Whelan. It is impossible to find any 250 gr. ammo in my neck of the woods for the Whelan, and .358 is non-existant. It's a good thing they can be made from .308 Win. and 30-06 brass.
Paul B.

Paul B, Winchester started producing factory .358 Win in 200 gr. Sliver Tips again this year. I have paid as high as $42 a box in Ketchikan and as low as $21 in Spokane for this ammo.

For some reason the 35s have never been a popular bore size, with the possible exception of the 35 Remington, chambered in a lot of deer rifles. I realize that the 35 Rem is not in the same league as a 358 Win or 35 Whelan (35'06).

------------------
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

As one who is in the midst of having his Springfield bored to .35 Whelan, what's the best commercial load going for it? Should I buy some now? I will, obviously, buy some dies for it, and expand some of my own '06 ammo, but occasionally, a round or two of factory is nice to have...

Thanks, Paul, don't need one myself, but it'd be a nice backup for bear country, or thick cover elk hunting.

Set up like my 870s with peep and decent trigger, it'd not be something for everyday use, but a superb tool when needed.Fast handling like a SYA gun should be...

Long Path. I've been using Remington brand, only because it is the only one I can find around here. (Tucson) Lately, I haven't been able to find any. Frankly, this doesn't bother me that much because I have tons of 06 brass. Federal, supposedly makes a premium round for the Whelan, with, I believe a 225 gr. bullet, but so far I haven't seen any.
I did take my Ruger Whelan on my elk hunt, but I didn't run into any suicidal elk. Maybe next year.
The bullet I have been loading is the 250 gr. Speer. I like the way gtheir 165 gr. 30 caliber bullet works, so i imagine the 250 gr. bullet will do as well.
Paul B.

Back