The man responsible for getting me into guns, shooting and hunting

Dean C

My boys called him “Uncle Ed” since he and I were like brothers. He got me started “plinkin” with 22’s in the early 70’s thus planting the seed. That fall, he invited me to go hunting with him and his 4 sons. I certainly accepted and for the next couple years I hunted pretty much in his back pocket. As time went on and I became more experienced from watching and listening to him I became more confident and more successful. I moved away from the area several years later but we would come from opposite ends of the state and meet at “ED CAMP” every year for hunting. Later he moved to Oregon and couldn’t quite swing the hunting trip but his boys and I maintained the tradition. I now have a son that hunts with me. This October my son and I will meet up with two of his sons at “ED Camp”. Have some good times, tell the same old stories and reflect on ED.

Uncle Ed passed away last Wednesday.

May God bless him and his family.

dean

Mentors...

Dean C--You are fortunate indeed to have had a mentor like Uncle Ed! They are getting rarer and rared these days.

Condolences to you and his family. I'm glad you and his sons will get together and hunt and honor his memory.

Now you owe it to the hunting community to pass on that legacy--it's the way you pay Uncle Ed back.

My condolences: You are one of the lucky ones to have had that great of a friend. Passing on his teachings and remembering him at the campfire are the ultimate honors that he can be given. I see that you will honor him, and that brings honor to you sir.

I had my grandfather and an older Italian man that shared with me the love of the outdoors and guns. Thanks, Granpa and Sal. Their memory brings both a smile and a tear to my face :) :(

My deepest condolences to you and the rest of the 'Ed Camp'.

Over time the pain will ease and the memories will become clearer and sweeter.

To those of us that still have their 'Uncle Ed', don't let life intrude on too many hunting seasons.

AJ

In a little less than two weeks, my oldest son and I will set up "Ed Camp" for the season. My youngest son will drop in the following weekend. Ed's middle son will be there both weekends. Not sure of the rest, but I'm sure a couple will show. I have an engraved wood memorial being made that will be attached to the mightiest tree in camp. We won’t be morning his passing but reflecting on what he taught and practiced. (Also have a jug of his favorite “hooch” to pass around the fire after hunting. He’d love it.)
dean

I came from a pretty liberal family, never really got taught anything about firearms, hunting, outdoorsmanship, until I went away to college.

I got exposed to granola-eating doofus hippies in college, decided I liked backpacking, getting away from people, but also really liked getting away from granola-eating doofus hippies :rolleyes:

I started working in the real world and made one of the greatest friends I have ever met, a real mentor. He exposed me to hunting, firearms and living truly for yourself in the way most honest to your conscience, and I owe him a lot for that.

My condolences for your loss, but in the end it sounds like you, "uncle ed" and your kids all won...

Back