• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

The list-of-threads page is too wide

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeff, CA
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeff, CA

Ever since the switch to the latest software, the page doesn't fit on my screen (in width), even on "fullscreen". About a third of the field on the right (the "last post by" field) is chopped off. I have to scroll to the right to see all of it. That field isn't too important to me, but I'd still like to know how to fix it.

The forum summary page fits, as do pages within a thread. It's only the list-of-threads page in each forum.

Is there some screen setup command I can use?

Are you on Windows?

Have you thought of upping your screen resolution? If you want to try, right-click on your desktop, click on Properties, chose Settings on the tabs at the top of the menu that pops up, then look in the lower right corner of the Settings menu, and see if you can move the little slider a notch or two to the right.

Write back if you don't have any more "up" on the slider, or if this all sounded like pig Latin.

-Jorah

Okay, I went from 1024x768 to 1152x864. The page now fits, but all the fonts and icons are a lot smaller, and the picture won't expand to fill the monitor now - there are black bands all around the border, especially along the top and bottom, plus it's starting to get blurry, like a photo that's blown up too much.

Now I've gone up to 1280x1024, and the text and icons are so small they're almost impossible to read. However, the picture will fill the monitor area completely, with some adjustment.

Maybe I should just live with a cut-off page?

Some people can see the smaller type,

some can't. If you want to live with the higher resolution, but need the text larger, look up at the top toolbar of your browser.

Click on "Tools" and select Internet Options. On the General tab, click on the Accessability button in the lower right (I only have IE 5.5x, yours might be slightly different) and click the "Ignore Font Sizes on Web Pages" box.

Then, after you "okay" your way out of there, see if TFL looks better. If text is still too small, click on the "View" button in the top toolbar, go to Text Size, and bump up the text size one or two notches.

Let me know if that helps.

-Jorah

Im using 1024x768, and have no problem in I.Eccch, Netscrap, or Opera. Latest versions of each, running under 98SE.

I know that doesn't help much, but at least you know to look somewhere other than desktop size for a solution....

:(

According to "about IE" in the help menu, it's version 4.0, and underneath that it says "version 4.72.3110".

Windows '98. I don't know if there's more to it than that.

For the record, I was perfectly happy with DOS.

I tried "ignoring font sizes" from the tools menu, but that makes all the text really small, and when I increase font size, only the font in links gets bigger - plain text (like this) doesn't.

Done. That seems to have done the trick. Any idea what was happening?

I should've known better than to ask. Computerese goes right over my head. Thanks.

Jeff,

I had the exact same problem a few months ago, and asked the same question.

I just got around to upgrading, and like you, found that it solved the problem nicely.

Amazing how quickly browser versions go out of date...

Back