The James Dalziel Dougal is here

Wildalaska

It's here and Im loving it. Pic is attached.

Its marked "No 1, .455 cal or 450". The gun is replete with the old pre 1904 Birmingham proofs (looks like an X ), every cylinder flute has them and there are two on the barrel. The camera I have just wont macro enough to see them. The cylinder face has only a number: 24 plus an arrow. No Webley markings anywhere other than the stylized arrow.No Belgian proofs anywhere. The "24" does not match the serial number which is 40X. Bore is pristine. The nitre on the hammer and on other parts is awsome, Im giving it 70% overall.

How does that frame release latch work. Havent taken the cylinder out yet, the knob is tight

The box is excellent, going to try to get some more pics up tomorrow, got to sneak it in past SWMBO

Question...black powder or smokeless (Fiocchi)loads? And here I just bought a can of Goex...I could bring some .455 rounds to the shop tomorrow though:D
attachment.php

WildhappydanceAlaska TM

Huh. For whatever reason it was not showing up for me last night.

Given that it's marked .450 or .455 plus the proof marks, you'd be insane to try shooting anything other than black powder through it.

Given that it's marked .450 or .455 plus the proof marks, you'd be insane to try shooting anything other than black powder through it.

The question has arisen due to one the the acknowledged Webley experts advising Fiocchi .455 is OK.. Given that the proofs are not Nitro that made me leery and given that I just got a standing offer to resell it it for over 10K I asked here.

I already bought Goex and have to keep my yearning to shoot it till Sunday.

I already know I am insane;) That means I have insight.

WildmorepicscomingAlaska TM

I don't know what pressures the Fiocchi .455 works at.

I do know that Webley revolvers Mks. I through IV were withdrawn from service after the adoption of cordite simply because they could not tolerate even the sedate, low pressure cordite cartridges - they kept popping the cylinders and doing other things. And no way in hell will I fire Fiocchi ammo in a Mark I through IV.

AFIK, cordite isn't known for developing high chamber pressures, but it does have a VERY sharp pressure curve, far sharper than black powder, and that's apparently where the problem lay.

That brings to question the pressure curve on modern Fiocchi ammunition. I've never seen any tested in a pressure v time rig.

I would NEVER risk a fine old revolver such as this with modern smokeless ammunition of any kind if it doesn't specifically have nitro proofs stamped on it.

And no way in hell will I fire Fiocchi ammo in a Mark I through IV.

Fiocchi's position is that their ammo is safe in any good shape smokeless proofed webley.

Which this is not.

Black powder gets loaded for this weekend! Gonna video it :)

WildpoofAlaska ™

To remove the cylinder, turn the knob on the left side ahead of the cylinder and unscrew it. That will let the cylinder, extractor and extractor sleeve come off to the rear as a unit. When reassembling, make sure the arrow on the knob points to the front.

Edited to add: I just noticed the retainer spring. That usually means you need turn the knob only 180 degrees, not unscrew it, but it is easy enough to check.

Jim

Last edited:
How do you like your dino eggs?

I like mine over easy with a side of bronto bacon.

You need a REALLY big smokehouse to make bronto bacon, though.

I am going to use 255s sized .455 of which I have a surfeit..The cases are Mark IIs of course which reduces capacity, unless I seat out to the bottom of the crimp groove.

A Mark I case (.14 longer?) would let me load 15 grains Im sure. I put 15 grains (which is what I am scooping) into a fired Mark II case and could not hand seat the bullet down. I will see what the charge actually weighs after I take .08 off the scoop (which is just a cut down .455 case with a handle soldered to it

Since Im just doing it to shoot it Ill have to eat the fact that it will probably roll down the barrel. :)

WildthisisfunAlaska TM

Back