The Hungarian P 63 Pistol-How Good is it?

Hard Ball

I have been looking at the PA 63 pistol in 9mm Makarov. It seems like a good design and the price ($100 or less), but I haven't had a chance to shoot one. How is the accuracy and reliability?

mine is 100% with all the ammo I've fed it so far. I've put hollowpoints(aprox.200rds) and ball(aprox.500rds) through mine and not had any problems. The tiny sights are dead on for my eyes so I decided not to replace them. It gets boring firing it at clays cause they just explode.I personally prefer it over the Makarov for the fact that the frame is aluminum and carries that much easier IMO. It does seem a little more "snappy" when firing it but nothing that is uncomfortable. Buy 1 and you won't regret it.

SOG

SOG has them for about $85 or there abouts.
I have been tempted to buy one, but for another 10 bucks I have always been able to buy the Makarov.

I will still buy one, I just have been buying and selling the Makarov in my little gun biz ops.

Denfoote, it is your posts which lead me to the Makarov.
A dept of gratitude is extended for your comments on this site over the past month or so.

Thanks.
Tree

FWIW

I have an SMC-380, which is a reduced size civilian version of the PA-63 in .380 that's made by FEG. I am very impressed with this pistol for the money. (An odd thing - I seem to have the only steel-framed SMC that anyone online has ever heard of; most are alloy-framed.) I think the Hungarians' firing pin safety improvements (from the Walther) are well-taken. The pistol is the most accurate .380 I've ever fired (not a hard plateau to achieve!) and the reliablity is outstanding.

Not exactly what you asked about, but it's related.

Tree,
You are very wecome. I always try to help. The Makarov certainly is one of the worlds better made pistols. I like to say that they are the Glocks of the Warsaw Pact. :) I have come full circle with them. My first CCW pistol was a Russian IJ-70-17A chambered in .380. The only time I ever needed a pistol to defend myself, and family, the Makarov was in my hand. I own a lot of pistols from Taurus to Glock, and I have carried them all. I have returned to the Makarov. They will always have a place in my gunsafe. I will be sure to check out SOG.

I have two PA-63s. I bought my first one from another individual. It is very nicely finished (polished blue slide, etc.) and works reliably, but the decocker is pretty much unsuable (it is VERY stiff - I can hardly make it work with both hands). I think something's broken. But the pistol works fine otherwise, so I just ignore it and drop the hammer (carefully) with my thumb. I think this is a commercial PA-63.

My second was ordered from Aim Surplus for about $90. It works fine mechanically, although the finish isn't nearly as nice as my first one. It's decocker/safety works fine. We ordered several of these at the same time, and mine was the only one that has the whole top of the slide covered with small machine marks - like they forgot to do the final polishing before bluing it. Aim was willing to exchange it, but I decided that I could live with this on a $90 surplus pistol.

Anyway, I like the PA-63s. Originally, I preferred them to Makarovs (lighter, sleeker looking, thumb-operated mag release), although now that I have a couple of each, I've grown more fond of the Maks.

Doug

Like ERICH, I had the .380 FEG version. I loved that little pistol, it was great to carry in hot weather and never had a Failure.
I traded it on another gun but miss it terribly, I want another one badly :(

FEG makes PA-63 and SMC-380

I own the SMC 380 and had the same experience as Erich, nothing but positive. I've owned and shot three Colt .380's (a Mustang and two Govt. models) and the FEG is more accurate. It is 100% reliable if kept clean. It is my most carried gun. That says it.

The direct info link is

http://www.makarov.com/others

Regards.

Ledbetter, I recall I have you to thank

for letting me know about the reliability of the FEGs to begin with. Thanks! That SMC is a peach. I love shooting it, and - although the steel frame makes it a little on the heavy side - I love to carry it. It just WORKS. Thanks for the referral, way back when.

Back