it be the Remington pattern derringer?
They are still sold for self-defense.
Davis and ADC make many models.

Any other ideas, not including incidents
where someone is stuck and drags out
the percussion pistol or blunderbuss?

bye

I would say the Colt SAA.
The same basic design lives on in the modern SA such as the Ruger. The derringer, while older, really has little practical use. I have one and enjoy it a lot. Mine is a Davies .22lr, and outside of shooting it for grins with CB caps, the only other real use for it is a tractor snake gun. Springtime grass cutting usually means hitting a snake or 2 in the heavy grass. None of them are poisonous, and since most are in really bad shape after going under the mower, shot shells put them away pretty well.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

If you're just talking about the design, you're probably right although those made today are a bit different than the Remington. But if the subject is _the_ specific gun with the longest history of production the Colt SAA is probably it. Since 1873- with just a few interruptions for World Wars... it's been in production almost continuously.

I saw that program and believe they said that Remington stopped production of the o/u in the 30s.

I would say the Walker Colt, because many bikers who cannot legally own a firearm have bought these (modern) Colts because they are sold "off paper" and have the same wallop as a .44 magnum.

Another thing to consider might be the mix of quantity and longevity--particularly with respect to continuing everyday use as opposed to occasional use--which brings in the Colt 1911 Gov't.

Someone would have to mention the 1911
<g>.

What I was thinking of was a design that
has made it through the years and wouldn't
be an aberration or rarity to carry.

I've met people who carry the Davis 32 ACP
derringer. I also read a story of a 22
mag successfully used to foil a robbery in
Florida.

Carrying a SAA concealed is not as likely
as a Remington pattern derringer, I would
think.

I did find the Walker Colt comment interesting - is it because these guys
can't buy modern guns because of legal
issues and thus go for BP?

If we're talking about basic designs, the S&W revolver is very much a creature of the 19th century. Yes, S&W has changed calibres, barrel lengths, added on adjustable sights different stocks, reengineered it to reduce the number of screws, but the lockwork is basically the same as before.

True, the Remington Deringer in its evolved form is still around, but if we're talking about a continuous and uninterrupted service record, I'd give it to S&W.

BTW, Colt's Python is about as old (internal design) but the popularity of that (engineering) design has waned considerably over the years.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back