The Good, Bad & Ugly

David Schmidbauer

Retired Screen Name
Under direction from a Family member I was instructed to post something on this. :)

The Good - Took possession yesterday of a firarm purchesed off of Auction Arms. It was of the type that my wife always wanted... a "John Wayne" gun.

The rifle is a Winchester modle 94, Theodore Roosevelt Commemoritive. Made in 1969 with a production run of 52K (serial # is in the teens). With a blued full octogon bbl & mag tube which sets off nicely the nickel receiver, lever, hammer and buttplate.
There is a raised medallion set into the stock of a silouette of Theodore The Great. My wife was very impressed on how beautiful it is.

The Bad - USPS decided to handle the package just a tad too roughly. From the looks of the box it must have been sent sailing through the air and landed on a hard surface. Touch down was with enough force to bend the bottom of the butt-plate thereby causing a .5" x 1" chip to separate itself from the stock.

I contacted the seller late last night and he said to take whatever time is needed to get the insurance claim settled or if it isn't settled to my liking he will stand behind the purchase and return my money. Good deal on his part.

The Ugly - The original stock. With as nice as the metal/engraving/finish is on this rifle you would think they would put on something other than a plain jane stock like you find on a Winchester sold at Wal-Mart.

I'm thinking of replaceing this stock, after the insurance settles, with a nicer piece of wood. Don't really care that is would then be "not original" it will make it a better looking piece, especially since it is a commemorative to Theodore The Great and is to be a shooter, not an investment, as it should be.

There Rich... ya happy? :D

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Don't get me started on UPS...
They will end up turning down the request - blaming you cause you didnt have enough padding...

Good luck - you'll need it!

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Kodic;

Not UPS... United States Postal Service. When I talked to the Seller he said that he does't alot of business on Auction Arms & E-Bay. After a few damaged shipments and fighting tooth and nail to get UPS to cover it he switched to USPS.

He said that while he has had things come up missing/damaged they settle their claims in a timely manner (< 45 days). He also said that they are very reasonable on what they pay. We shall see.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

UPDATE

Contacted Winchester Parts/Repair Division. They have sold all their commemoritive parts to someone called...

Commemoritive Parts, I call; they have gotten out of the business and sold all their inventory to...

JB Custom Inc (219) 422-1873. Call him and talk to Jim Bucannan (maybe the JB in the name?!?). JB Custom handles Custom/obsolete Firearm Parts. No website as of yet and from what I can make of it very little advertising. Anyhoo, he looks through his inventory, a bunch of bbls, some commoritive stocks with either streight military stock or Pistol Grip. Mine is a semi-pistol grip. Had two of them... both with chips in them. (No thanks... already got one of them!)

SOOOOO anyway. It looks like I'm going to have to have my Smith get some blanks (stock and forarm) and have them made up into stocks.

Will keep this post updated as this "Cluster" deepens.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Gun Parts Corp. sells stocks that are semi-finished. Supposedly all they need is fitting and finishing.
I believe that Wenig Custom Stocks was started by some of the old Fajen stock people. They can be found at www.wenig.com.

Back