The elusive .126 S&W sight blade dilemma.

Lavan

Sheeze, I need a .126 rear sight blade on my M25 45ACP revolver N-frame.

I find all sorts of stuff that is PART of what I need.

I can find a blade. I can also find the entire sight assembly but it's OUT OF STOCK and has been for months.

I'm pretty sure I have the skill to not lose the teensy spring and plunger and do it myself. But finding the blade AND the screw (which some say should be replaced when you break the one you remove) is proving to be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I've asked some local gunsmiths if they would install it FOR me WHILE I WAIT since it is a short time job and they all say OH GOSH NO!

and then they go back to feet up reclining to BS all day. :mad:

But....back to the blade and screw.

Who has BOTH? If you know, I'd appreciate a link to their site.

Thanks,

Mr. Shootin Way Toohigh
:D

Well it is sometimes possible to remove the sight blade without breaking the screw, but it is not guaranteed, and once broken the screw cannot be fixed or locally made unless you are a first class machinist with some high precision equipment. So you get a new screw before you start the work.

Considering the difficulty you are having getting the parts necessary, why do you seem to assume that a gunsmith has them just lying around and can install them in a few minutes?

Jim

Considering the difficulty you are having getting the parts necessary, why do you seem to assume that a gunsmith has them just lying around and can install them in a few minutes?

I am NOT assuming that. I made it very CLEAR to them that ...I... would have the sight blade and pay THEM for their labor to put it in and stake it.

ONE local dork took my gun in and estimated TWO WEEKS to do this 10 minute job (with right tools) so I left the gun there for 2 damn weeks and retrieved it when I went back and they were all lounging around the lobby and hadn't even ordered the blade. (At THAT time, I was asking for the smith to get the part and ALSO install it)

No dice.

That's when I decided the ONLY way to not have the gun banging around a shop for months (yes, ONE gink kept my gun for 4 months and STILL didn't do a satisfactory repair) is for ME to get the damn part and then find SOMEONE who wants to make a little bit of money for his labor.

The 4 month gun was a Rem 512 that was jamming in the feed process and I fixed it MYSELF with the SIMPLE screw on the inner part of the receiver.

As of LATE, I've even considered taking off the sight assembly and filing it down myself and just cutting the notch deeper.

(coors, I'd have to lounge around periodically while doing it.....:D)

If all you want is the notch cut deeper, why not just do that yourself? You don't even need to remove the sight assembly; just put some masking tape on the top strap to guard against a slip, and deepen/widen the notch with a pattern file.

Jim

I'm presently just taking a low sight picture.
I cut my teeth on bullseye shooting so the top of the sight is more important to me.

I guess I could cut that down some but it would be more critical to do completely square with hand tools.

Still might try it.

I ....know.... there's a sight blade "out there."

Until then..... I can.... compensate. :cool:

Removed sight.
Filed down the top of the blade keeping it square.
Took the notch down to even with top of elevation screw.

IT IS PERFECT !!!!!! :):):)

Took it out to check and now the gun is back to the "shoot itty bitty pebbles" condition again.

I...HATE... sights that are "off."

Don't like to "hold" off.

And, my dear lazy gunsmiths....... go back to your lounging.
I don't need your services at all so you can also quit pretending that you will order the parts and install them in the time it ....should.... take.

:mad:

Wellll..... sorta..... snif

blog-rant.jpg

;)

Back