The Economy And Competitive Shooting

so50cal

Inactive
With the down turn in the economy and the scarcety of ammuntion and components, have you notice a reduction in the participation at local matches?
If so, has anyone considered lower cost option for competitors, like say a rimfire divisions?

A friend of mine and I were discussing this very question the other day.

I haven't noticed any effect at the BE matches I attend, but hardcore BE shooters tend to maintain their own stockpiles. And we already have a 22 stage. I'll have to ask the match directors whether they're noticing that more people are laying off of the centerfire and 45, and only shooting the 22.

But HP matches could be affected, not only due to ammo and components costs, but also the run-up in AR prices. HP can be expensive even in the best of times.

Our monthly practical rifle matches are 50+ lately...and growing...even in the deepest, muddiest, darkest of winter.

I have not seen a downturn in numbers at local matches. I cut back when bullet and gas prices went up 50%, but have not gone back to my old ways, even with gas prices down; bullets are still high, even though metals are down.

As a BE shooter I have cut down, in fact I skipped a match today.
I am in mid-30's. I've changed my view of match entry fees and ammo expense in these times. I reload my .45 and 38, but still .22 ammo is no bargain these days. I also live-fire practice much less, and interestingly my scores have gotten better.

That said, what I am doing is shooting a lot more 10m air pistol. Air is free and pellets are cheap. Probably explains why my BE scores have gotten better too.

At the local bowling pin match there were probably twenty some-odd people there on a 27-degree February morning. Turnout was normal despite it being so cold we had to shoot steel instead.

Back