The Double Tap is . . .

Prof Young

The Double Tap is HUGE! Finally saw on at the LGS today. It is truly thin, but laying on it's side the footprint is really big. Big enough that I don't think it should qualify as a pocket gun. I don't understand why, with all the other options, one would choose to carry a Double Tap. If I had $500 to spend on a CC weapon I think it would be my last choice.

Just saying . . . .

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

The Double Tap Is...

Cute, but at $499 (minimum) way too expensive for a derringer. A ported barrel for an extra $70 probably won't make a bit of difference in felt recoil.

No, thanks. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I've seen them but have never shot one nor do I plan to. The reviews that I have seen state the recoil is more than just painful, it is very painful.

Yes, I'm sure the recoil is painful but as a last ditch (second) weapon with the adrenaline flowing, I would speculate that one would not feel it very much until the situation was over (one way or another).

As a primary carry gun or a HD firearm, this is not what I would even consider.

Now, if someone would come up with a copy of a GM Guide Lamp FP-45 Liberator made of stamped steel these days for about $100, they might sell like hotcakes at a hunter's breakfast during deer/elk season. The originals aren't cheap these days:

http://www.icollector.com/WWII-U-S-...Pistol-with-Instruction-Sheet-and-Or_i9387893

The original delivered cost for the FP-45 was $2.40/unit[3] ($32 in 2010).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Last edited:
That seems very overpriced for what it is. There are quite a few quality firearms you could get that are suitable for a main CCW in that price range, and I wouldn't hesitate to choose one of them first. I wouldn't even consider it as a BUG. I wonder how well they sell.

..........the Devil's own pistol, and as such should be avoided at all costs!
A friend got one and I fired 4 rounds from it..........3 too many. He sold it off the next day.

I really don't get it. If it was around $200 or under, I could see a market. But with all the similarly sized pocket pistols that are superior in nearly every aspect, for much less money, this thing is doomed.

I two was was surprised by how large the thing is. Like the OP said, it's flat but that's where it ends. It just does not seem practical, even as a last ditch weapon. If I was going to carry a BUG, a LCP, Kel tec or Kahr PM/CM380 are far better choice that can actually be shot well and reloaded real quick. I like to leave the novelty stuff to the collectors.

Yeah, I saw the double tap at a gunshow about a month ago, and that was my first thought: THIS THING IS HUGE! Definitely, not what I expected.

Back