The dangers of Pine-Sol

Chestnut Forge

After a day of burning the black, I needed to do a tear-down cleaning. The walker was stripped and everything but the grips went into a 5 gal tote. In goes the hot water with pine-sol. I put a fountain pump in it and let it run for about 45 min. Everything came out clean as brand new, but it stripped the bluing off the cylinder and the color off the frame and loading lever, ram and hammer.

That's why--for general cleaning but most especially for cleaning up my BPCR brass--I use a mix of water and Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner. It won't strip bluing.

Positive attitude

It does have an aged look now. I think I will brown it.
Sorry for your problem and compliments on your positive attitude. Thanks for the heads-up that we can all learn from. ..... ;)

How many times must I repete, WATER, WATER, WATER!
I drink it; my guns don't touch it. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Funny thing is that it didn't touch the bluing on the barrel. Must be a different process on it. I'm thinking about the bleach treatment on the whole gun. Since it to cold in the garage right now, it will have to wait til spring. In the mean time I plan on just shooting and keep it oiled.

If you wrap your barrel with vinegar soaked rags it will take the bluing off of everything. ( I use paper towels)

It will leave you with a very nice acid washed finish that is very hard and won't rust.

I have a few barrels finshed in this manner. First time I discoved this is when I spilled some Vinegar on my old sharps barrel. It left a bad mark so I stripped the whole barrel.

Liked it so much I finished my new sharps in this manner when I got it.

Here is the Sharps.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Freedom....

See guys, see?

I told you.

The bear liked Freedoms rig so much, that he gave up the fight, bought the rig from Freedom and now he is sleeping with it.

Just a historic note. On original Walker revolvers the cylinder wasn't blued. It was left "in the white".

How many times must I repete, WATER, WATER, WATER!

You can repete, or even repeat, as often as you want but some kind of cleaner is needed with black powder residue.
I know the chemistry of bp but, in actuality, bp contains contaminants that do not always clean up with just water. The chemicals are usually industrial grade and far from pure. The charcol is often also far from pure. I have used whatever kind of soap is at hand for half a century for my bp cleaning and it has never been an issue.
To qualify: It is my understanding that some powders, like Swiss and Olde Ensyford, use pharmecutical chemicals and a high grade charcol. They might clean up well with just water. But, a soap of some kind won't hurt. The subject of this thread is an exception. I dunno what is in Pine Sol and, it looks like no one here knows what kind of (real) coloring or blueing was on his cylinder. That might have washed off in the rain. We really dunno.

Soap is a sodium or potassium salt of fatty acids. It acts as a wetting agent and an emulsifier for oils.

There are also detergents, soap is a detergent but not all detergents are soap.

Acids, salts, and bases have a common property, they are highly water soluble. Anything that's not water soluble probably won't rust your barrel.
There are a few salts that are not water soluble, silver chloride for example, but even it will dissolve in a solution of sodium thiosulfate (hyposulfate in darkroom lingo).

Back