The current PPK/PPKS made in Ft. Smith?

Jack19

I'm seeing some very good reviews on YT.

Anyone have personal experience with the currently manufactured pistols?

Specifically the .380 models.

Last edited:
My five year-old PPK/S 22 says Ft. Smith but I'm not sure if that's too old to be what you're speaking of.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I've got one of the Fort Smith PPK's that I got about this time last year. Runs like a watch as long as I use CCI Mini-Mags or Stingers. Works pretty well with run of the mill bulk pack Federal too but will jam from time to time with that stuff. No big surprise there really.

Are you asking about the 380acp?

I purchased one about four months ago. The only ammo used are my 100gr X-Treme bullet reloads.

My wife and I enjoy target shooting with it. The recoil is strong but easily manageable.

I have no intention to ever CCW this pistol.

Sorry this is months old - did you buy one? I made the mistake of bringing my 16 year old son to the local gun store two months ago and he fell in love with a stainless PPK. I tried to talk him out of it as I had owned one 20 years ago and wasn’t terribly fond of it. Well, yeah, I bought it because he’s a straight-A student and taking all honors classes; what’s a dad to do for a son who’s smarter than his father? :). Anywho, despite my reservations, the pistol has proven to be a resounding success. It’s been completely reliable with the 6-7 brands of ammo we’ve shot. It’s capable of accuracy far beyond expectation. There are many, many guns that are better for concealed carry, and many, many guns that are better for range/target shooting. BUT, hot damn, the thing is very good looking and it’s just plain fun to shoot. We take it every time we go to the range and we shoot 200-300 rounds through it at the plates. It’s better in every respect than the one I owned years ago. So, my advice is: DON’T buy one for concealed carry; get a SIG P365. DON’T buy one to shoot small groups at the range; get pretty much anything else that’s full size and in the price range. DO buy it if you love the iconic, timeless look but also want a pistol that will shoot to its sights at 15 yards and never fail to cycle and fire. That’s what it does.

I bope this helps!

BTW I don’t just have one post; I took a break from shooting for 15 years and got back in this year. I was an avid poster long ago. Yeah, I’m old now.

Mrs wanted one & saw one that a good salesman had put in the case with a Pierce Brosnan 007 photo-she went home with it & the photo.
It’s a good solid gun, the beaver tail takes care of hammer bite. It’s very heavy, sights are tiny, recoil spring is Very stiff to deal with the straight blowback & Mrs struggles to rack the slide & she still loves it. I much prefer my Walther PP in 32ACP.
R2YiuuRl.jpg

Snake-Bite

I tried to talk him out of it as I had owned one 20 years ago and wasn’t terribly fond of it
Same experience and eventually sold it, but it's your call. The "only" problem I had was that if you don't hold it right, it will bite the web of your hand. I have two neatly spaced scars that I often show to folks. Now, some folks can be rightly critical of how I was holding it but this happened at the range and I don't have large hand. To date, it's the only handgun that has "snake-bit" me and I shoot regularly. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I have one of the older production models manufactured under license by Smith & Wesson which I purchased way back in 2016 and it has been excellent. The only malfunction I've ever had with it was ammo related and I carried it from 2016 until 2019, only replacing it because I wanted something more powerful due to concerns over wild animals coming out of the woods around my residential area.

attachment.php

Granted it is made by a different company, but it is to my understanding that the new frames are manufactured using the same tooling which Walther USA purchased from Smith & Wesson, and obviously they share the same design with the extended beavertail.

I wish they still made these in .32, the caliber it was actually designed for. I find the .380 unpleasant. But it’s a niche gun even in .380, so I know my wish is in vain….

Back