The Complete Reloading Manual for the .44 Magnum

oley55

Is anyone in possession of this book? I am hoping it contains some load data for the long time discontinued Lee Mold 90343, 429-255 SWC. Apparently Lee used this same number (90343) for a 401 mold at some point and it is now a 7mm-08 trim die. It is plain base and as cast weight is 266 grains using COWW and is/will be powder coated. For now I plan to run it in a Ruger RH.

I am mostly flailing around trying to nail down COAL and starting loads and thought perhaps some load data is to be found in 'The Complete Reloading Manual'. If I seat to the crimp groove there is a LOT of bullet stuffed deep into the case (coal 1.605"). If I seat at the first of three shallow/narrow lube grooves I get a COAL of 1.710". Held beside a Keith style bullet, at the lube groove the amount of seated bullet is quite similar and plunk chambers in my Redhawk (but not in my Dan Wesson).

Since I have most of an 8 pound jug of IMR4227 sitting around without a mission, I plan to start with it. If that doesn't pan out I have limited quantities of H110 and Unique.

Last edited:
My Lyman cast manual shows 20.2 great to 24 gr compressed for IMR 4227 with a different mold but 255 gr slug. The same book has a 300 grain slug with 16.5 gr to 19.0 gr compressed. I would recommend holding a grain or so short of the 255 load data for your somewhat heavier bullet.

TJB101,

thanks for that link, but I already have that site saved and have thoroughly searched it and came up short. The Complete Handloading Guide for 357 Magnum is chocked full of specific cast bullet information compiled from various published sources and I hoped the 44 mag Complete Guide would be equally comprehensive. But I'll take whatever I can get regardless of source.

Last edited:
Big Al,

thanks, been digging and have found a number of loads dancing around my bullet and I think you nailed it. I'll think I'll start with 18.5 grains and work up from there.

Assuming IMR4227 isn't one of those powders that behaves badly if started too low. I think I recall reading/seeing something about that (pressure spikes) with H-110, but not with 4227.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Oley,

Speer has a 270-grain Gold Dot (a plated design, so it is softer than a bullet with a drawn jacket) that is 0.0425" shorter than your bullet and only 3 grains heavier. They use a COL in Speer #14 of 1.585" with it, so the seating depth of your bullet is only 0.0225" deeper than theirs. They list a starting load of 18.5 grains of IMR 4227, and a maximum of 20.5 grains. If I put that bullet into QuickLOAD and shorted the COL 0.0225" to copy your bullet's seating depth when you use 1.605" COL and I change the weight to 266 grains and lower the start pressure from 1740 psi to 1160 psi to match QL's approximations for Gold Dots and cast bullets, respectively, it looks like the Gold Dot loads less about 0.2 grains will match pressure.

I don't trust QuickLOAD's absolute pressures to be very tight, particularly with straight wall cases, but running comparisons like this to match whatever pressure it predicts for the maximum load of the original usually give pretty good results. No guarantees, but is looks like using the crimp groove at 1.605 COL, your starting load would be 18.3 grains and maximum would be 20.3 grains.

Nick,

With that bit of science having been presented I finally feel like I am no longer flying by the seat of my pants. Thanks for that.

Not sure why I'm messing with it except for the sake of messing with it I guess. When looking at the bullet, it's three grooves, and the rather tiny protruding tip, it is not too far from qualifying as a basic wadcutter. Especially, when seated to the 1.605" coal.

Somehow, I managed to stumble back on to the method for attaching a pic.

Attachments

• lee 429-255-swc 2.jpg
    lee 429-255-swc 2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 50
Back