The best pistol caliber? My thoughts exactly. (Beware, 9mm biased. Open minds only!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've moved from .40S&W, to .45ACP, and finally settled on 9mm and have been for the past year and a half. I haven't looked back since.

They're caliber wars left and right. However, when you take a step back and look at your own big picture. I guess nothing else matters.

When others think it's wrong and challenge you, it's taken personal because it's your decision that's being tried. Which I understand.

I'm just glad when I see someone who sees eye to eye with me. As others are about people who see eye to eye with them.

Thoughts? Preferably from those who agree.

The BEST Handgun Caliber is..... (By John Farnam)

"It all depends..."

For my first Quip of 2014, I will talk briefly about trends in serious
pistol calibers.

<snip>

You can read the remainder of the article here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took John's course years ago, it was great !! He comments about popular " 9x19 high performance ", he means of course 9x19 + P !!
My favorite is the .40 S&W which comes in the same package as many 9s.
Whatever you chose do some hunting on chucks , feral dogs , etc to see what they actually do.

Only because no one ever argues on its behalf, I'll say my choice for "best" pistol caliber is 7.62x25 tokarev. I recently found some nasty hollow points in that caliber and would love to have a modern firearm chambered for it.

That being said, my current carry caliber is 9mm, but only because I'm scared if I carry my tokarev it will shoot me in the foot. :p

Yes, I agree.....it depends on the person, the choice of weapon, training, etc....

but, nothing wrong with a 9mm ( but I'm not giving up on the .45 acp anytime soon either )...

I shoot a lot of 9mm, and .40S&W, and .45 acp ....and .357 mag....and they will all work just fine....:D

I own many different defensive handguns in several different calibers with 9x19 being the most common among them.
So, I'll extrapolate that 9mm is my favorite defensive handgun caliber.

To discuss the article....that is the most meaningless piece of writing I've ever seen. Seriously, what is he trying to say? Why is he trying to say it? It looks like one of those mindless tweets by people who's employer is telling them you have to tweet 3 times a day.

This is just a dumb pointless thread that will start an argument. I'm surprised it isn't closed yet.

The best caliber is the one best suited for the job. As a carry caliber 9mm is pretty good. Walking the woods or riding our mules in the wilderness, means .45 LC or .44 mag.

OP is just looking for further validation of his choice.

in autos I like 9, 45 and 22.

While I like shooting 45s there's no doubt i could shoot the same pistol better and faster in a 9mm while being just as if not more effective.

You only want people to post that agree with your conclusion. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. What's best for you may not be best for me or someone else.

Would you agree that someone else's needs may require something other than a 9mm being the best caliber?

These threads are great....that is where we learn 40 is best:
- good hole size
- good velocity 1200 fps for expanding JHP's and getting penetration
- good bullet weight >130 grains ...enough mass to really open up a JHP.
- proven good by FBI
- 9mm sized guns available
- true pocket guns available
- I can shoot my 40's fast and accurately
- good enough mag capacity 6+1 in P40 12+1 in XD.

Those are reasons. Surely you can't argue those are reasons....now, you may not agree with my reasons and I respect your opinion.

The trouble with this article and frankly most of these threads is the reasoning is gone after the OP and it becomes a ******* match with others justifying what they chose with emotional statements.

<flame resistant suit all buttoned up>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back