The Best Light machinegun of ALL time?

H&K_Sniper

Hello evryone,

Give me your opinion on this:

What was the best all around light machinegun ever? or you can tell me your favorite!! It doesnt matter

My favorite NAD my opinion on he best lmg was the MG-42 by rheinmetal -borsig //Mauserwerks

THANKS FOR YOUR INFO!!!

M249 SPW. Because it would look cool with a Masterkey or M203 attached to the M4 style foreend, although no one has told me if it can actually be done or not, it seems entirely possible to me.

Last edited:
How are you defining "light"? For example, during WWII the German army provided a variety of different configs for the MG 34/42 Universal machinerifle. The MG 42 with optics, several change barrels, a tripod and plenty of 7.92 was a heavy MG, but put a drum and a bipod and you have the same weapon but listed as "light." Remember, the boat anchoresque MG08/15 was listed a "light" by the German Army during WWI.

If it is wide open, then my vote (uninformed as it may be) would be for the SS-77 from Suid Afrika. Bringing back the light in LMG.

Definetly the FN MAG (or M240, they're all the same thing). The most reliable light machine gun that fires the 7.62 NATO round. The M249 is good, but I just think that 5.56 is too small for a machine gun.

The best light (man-portable) machine-gun?
In 8mm/.30cal - without doubt the MG42/MG3.
In 5.56mm/.223 - yet to be invented. The Spanish Ameli appears like a shrinked MG3, but I'm not sure about its qualities.

I would guess the MG34 or the MG42 would still be very hard to beat. There is a good article on the MG34 in the Oct 20 Shotgun News.

The biggest difference between the two (besides obvious mechanical features) was the MG34 had a cyclic rate of 900 RPM while the MG42 bumped it up to an even 1,200 RPM

If one were to judge by the machine gun and/or assault weapon population, the Soviet/Russian AK-47 and its variants are the clear winner.

I've heard tell that there are more AK-47 weapons in existence than any other firearm.

Wm.

Looks like we need some definition of terms here. I am no expert, so bear with me, and if I'm wrong, by all means, jump in and help out!

Assault Rifle - Select fire, magazine fed, intermediate cartridge like 7.62x39 or 5.56mm. e.g., AK-47 or M-16

SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) - Belt fed, intermediate cartridge. e.g., FN Minimi. Some magazine fed weapons have filled this role, e.g., the BREN. Also, the M-14 in select fire configuration fulfilled this role for a short time, IIRC. M-60 fulfilled this role for a long time, although 7.62x51 is not usually considered intermediate (like 5.56mm).

LMG (Light Machinegun) - Such classics as Browning 1917, 1919, MG 34/42, FN MAG, M-60 probably fits in here in spite of being used in the SAW role.

HMG (Heavy Machinegun) - Browning M-2 and the like.

Now for my vote.

MG 42 has ingenious barrel change system, but rate of fire is too high. So I vote for the FN MAG.

Submachine Gun: Magazine fed, select fire weapon firing pistol ammunition. Example: Heckler & Koch MP-5 series.

Assault Rifle: Magazine fed, select fire weapon firing intermediate rifle ammunition. Example: Colt M-16.

Assault Carbine: A more compact form of assault rifle, generally equipped with folding stock. Example: Colt M-4.

Light Machine Gun / Squad Automatic Weapon: Belt-fed, fully automatic weapon firing intermediate rifle ammunition (preferably, fires same round as assault rifles in order to simplify field logistics). Generally used with built-in bipod, but can be mounted if needed. Example: M-249 SAW, a.k.a. FN Minimi.

Medium Machine Gun / General Purpose Machine Gun: Belt-fed, fully automatic weapon firing full-power rifle ammunition (7.62x51 NATO). Generally fired from tripod, but sufficiently light to be used with bipod as an infantry-carried weapon if need be. Example: M-240, a.k.a. FN MAG.

Heavy Machine Gun: Belt-fed, fully automatic weapon firing large-caliber rifle ammunition (.50-cal, 12.7mm, 14.7mm, etc). Too heavy to be fired without tripod mounting. Example: Browning M-2HB.

Gatling Gun: Belt-fed, fully automatic weapon with multiple rotating barrels. Can be in pretty much any caliber (U.S. has 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 20mm, and 30mm), but a heavy weapon regardless of caliber. Excessively high rate of fire (10000 RPM for 5.56mm Microgun, 6000 RPM for 7.62mm Minigun, 6000 RPM for 20mm M61 Vulcan, 3900 RPM for 30mm GAU-8 Avenger). A rather specialized class, but also very useful.

My vote would go to the Stoner 63, for a 5.56-firing weapon, or
it's descendant, the ARES light machine gun.

For a larger caliber.........mmmm, I dono, they all seem more alike
than different. If it has to be belt-fed, I think it would be a toss-
up between the MG34 or the enhanced M60 that was marketed
by SARCO during the M60 replacement trials.

ANM

M1918 series Browning Automatic Rifle. Its a manly gun that carried the battle to the enemy along side the other manly gun ,the M-1 Garand.

Plus my daddy was a BAR gunner in the Pacific in WWII!

CETME Ameli. It's a Spanish simplification and modernization of the MG-42 in 5.56 caliber. This makes it very light (14 pounds) and possessing the same virtues and vices of the German gun.
539.jpg

Back