The best dang hat I've ever had...

bobs1066

Since the natural insulation on top of my head started leaving, I've acquired & worn many hats of many types. About the best for any kind of weather except 'freeze your ears off' cold, is made by Akubra. The particular one I'm talking about is the Colly, four inch brim, five inch crown. It creates a tolerable micro-climate under dreadful conditions. What are you folks wearing?

Hair :D

Sorry bob … I just couldn’t resist.

“ … The above is a childish response to an excellent topic.”

Seriously hat on … :)

For me with cold and nasty weather I most prefer the hood of a pull-over sweatshirt. It keeps my neck warm and it doses an excellent job of retaining the heat from the rest of my body.

For hot or extend time in the sun the boonie I have from my Marine Corps days is best.

Great topic!

Scott, I've considered letting my beard grow waaaay long & doing a comb-over to shield my dome. So far, common sense has prevented me from trying that. :D

Tweed hair under......

a gray rabbit fur "trooper cap". Think of the hat worn by Sean Connery in HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER but in gray. LOL
Summer time, any one of my ball caps.

I picked up a "crushable" Western hat, black felt with braided leather band, at a motorcycle rally. Bikers like 'em because you can roll them up & stuff them in a saddlebag. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and off my neck, and no matter how I scrunch it it can always be poked back into shape. Cost me about $30. Worth it.

When hunting I like a Boonie style hat. My favorite is one I got from Brigade Quartermasters in ASAT tan camouflage about 6 years ago. Wish I'd bought a couple since they quit making them. Practical, heavy cloth, washable (important for deer hunting since your hat is a odor sponge and needs to be washed frequently), and well built. Plus, I like my hunting hats to have chin straps.

When it's cold I wear a "GI Sleeping Cap" underneath it. How many of you guys know what that is? They're kinda rare, I bet a lot of guys with 20+ years have never even seen one. Sleeping Caps are issued with GI sleeping bags when they're brand new, they look something like a Pile Cap except much lighter and made of a poly/fleece material.... green of course.

With my boonie and sleeping cap I'm good to go from baking desert heat to freezing arctic cold - rain, snow, sun, wind.... bring it on, it's a versatile combo. -- Kernel

Back