THE BERETTA 92FS.

I have one and like it a lot. Very very well made, reliable and accurate. Parts and hicap mags are easy to find, as are gunsmiths trained to work on them. However, there are two things about the 92FS that you should know about. It is a pretty big gun for the firepower, and the grip is wide. People with small hands can sometimes have difficulty with a comfortable relaxed grip. If neither of these are problems for you, I say go for it!

[This message has been edited by Gino (edited January 05, 2000).]

I have had one for about a year, and have had no problems whatso ever with it. It is big but the long barrel makes it a pretty accurate gun. It shoots smoothly and groups very well. I love mine!!

Greetings, I have own a Beretta 92FS Centurion Model since November of 95;
have experienced no problems. :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Likes: Mag capacity, fit & finnish, easy take down and assembly,
Dislikes: Muzzle flip, torque, size(it's a little large for my hands), safety position (another hand size issue),Also, the reports of fractures on the lower barrel assembly.
All in all I consider the Beretta one of the better hand guns I have come across.

------------------
Bear

I've owned two 92fs. Great gun. A little large for me, but it's realible, accurate and IMHO one of the best looking guns.

Have had a 92FS for the past 2 years and I think it's a real smooth gun. I've put about 3000 rounds through it and I never have even had a flinch of failure. They are very accurate but I don't like where the point of aim puts 115 gr bullets. It seems the sights were built for the 147 gr bullet so I have to aim quite high to get the faster bullets to hit the bullseye. Overall a good investment and can be had for under $500.

I'm considering buying a Beretta 92 L type M. That's the single stack compact model. Anyone have experience with this model as compared to the full size double stack versions? The full size grip is a little thicker than I like.

I got my 92FS (model 92 series police special) almost 7 years ago. NIB, it's the MOST accurate handgun I have ever shot! :) After almost 5000 rounds of various kinds of ammo, I've never had a cycling problem - not one. Guess I've been blessed with large hands, 'cause the grip feels great. The only problem I've experienced with it, is other shooters wanting to have a go with it when I'm at the range. Hope you find one you like, 'cause you ain't gettin' this one... ;)

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...

Uh here's tip, all caps generally signifies that you are YELLING!! Anyway, my overall experience has been positive. I've broken a trigger return spring, a firing pin and have had the grip screws rust on me. On the other hand, one of my guns has in excess of 10K rounds through it and it is smooth and accurate. I got an Elite 92G and a 92FSC compact because I like them so much.

Was issued the M9 from 88 to 98.

DoD continuously tests them by pulling random samples off the line, and keep good track of how the issued stuff does.

How do they do?

Frames are avg 35K rounds, slides and barrels 75K, locking blocks 17-22K. Twelve guns fired over 165K rounds total with just 5 jams.

Mil-spec ammo is about 38.5K psi, over SAAMI +P, what some call +P+.

I put over 20K through a 92F with no problems from 87 to 99, and about the same through a 96FS from 92 to 99.

They work.

------------------
>>>>---->

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DUDE:
OVERALL EXPERIENCE.[/quote]
Chindo18Z
Senior Member posted December 02, 1999 04:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dude: This is a post copy from a previous thread on this topic (92FS/M9 performance). I really don´t have the oxygen in my lungs or the willpower to get into another "my gun is best" immediate argument drill... In any event, I am no longer a fan of the Beretta 92FS/M9 series. All my negative experience has been with military issue weapons; perhaps the commercial production is more durable. I see a lot of positive testamonials from a lot of Beretta fans here at TFL. I think the design is flawed for heavy use. If you don´t plan on shooting more than a coupla thousand rounds through it, I wouldn´t worry...its a fine pistol. Mine failed me again (on the range/broken locking block) in Dec 99, under the eyes of the US Army Special Operations Command CG (along with 3 other pistols). When asked, I told him point blank that the gun is a piece of s**t. Some of the posts here sound like paid Beretta advertising...Anyway, for what its worth...here is my previous post:
I had the opportunity to be around during JSSAP trials...and fire the original test weapons (Berettas, that is). I have 23 years of comparitive carry experience using M1911A1 and M9 (as both a primary and secondary weapon). Overall opinion of the M9/92F series is that it would be a perfectly great pistol except for one little problem...durability. Not reliability. DURABILITY. It breaks. While you are firing it. When you need it. It is accurate, easy to handle, reliably cycles, feeds most ammo, and is safe to carry and handle. It breaks. Not always. But frequently enough to be an everyday occurance where I work. An event that no one is suprised about anymore. We have replaced every M9 we own after 5 years of usage. We have new ones. They also break. I am talking 90 weapons. We have carried them in Bosnia, Kosovo, etc.. We have shot people with them. But they still BREAK! When I hear about contract specs...I have to laugh. Our locking blocks last about 4000-5000 rounds. I fired 2000 rds in the last month. My new locking block broke. The contract specs were for NATO Ball! Its not that hot! I've fired it for years in CZ-75/85s, Hi-Powers, Walthers, SIGs, and Glocks...nemo problemo. NATO ball is not some super hot fireball...its stiff enough to cycle reliably but has a lot less recoil than GI .45 ACP. Glad I've got an M4...

I've shot both the blued and the stainless models. They shoot well, but as with many guns they just do not fit my hand. One strange thing though, the stainless 92FS fits better than the blued model.

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

Going on almost five years experience repairing M9's in the military, I would agree with Chindo18Z's post. Most fixes I have seen have been simple: missing or broken springs, like the Beretta doesn't have enough of them. A slide lock spring, a spring behind the button for the takedown latch, trigger bar spring, trigger springs. All of the aforementioned somehow break during use or get lost by the operator during cleaning. Still, more springs than a service pistol should have; the 1911 is better in this department. Also, the little lock washers behind the grip screws. Lose one of these and unknowingly tighten the grip screw and the screw will protrude just enough through the frame to hang up a magazine. I would think Beretta and the people who ran the pistol trials should have payed enough attention to detail to engineer out little nit-picky problems like this. I've seen a couple cracked slides (nothing catastrophic, just hairlines around the breech/extractor area) and a couple damaged receivers, but no fault of the gun's. Overall, the Beretta is OK, but as for investing in my own, I'd also say it's not durable enough compared to pistols I already own, and Beretta the corporation doesn't seem to be famous for standing behind its product. Lastly, if you ever do end up taking the right grip panel off a Beretta and losing the trigger bar spring so it won't fire double-action, just turn the gun upside-down; it'll fire double-action then.

I carried the M9 (Model 92) while serving as an Air Force SP. I always managed to qualify with it, but I didn't shoot it as well as I shoot other makes (S&W and Glock). I have heard they tend to get touchy if you don't keep them well cleaned and well lubed, but like I said , that is just what I heard. Overall not a bad pistol just not the pistol for me.

Gratulation DUDE, if you gonna buy the 92FS! I own two of them, blued and stainless,with some accessories and I really like 'em. Easy to handle, accurate and they look nice. The italien always knew how to design.
BUT: The biggest disadvantage is (in my opinion)the manual safty on the slide. More specific: The dechocking latch is the manual safty, too. No other modern pistol has this! If you are under stress, it can happen that you safe the gun without knowing! I hope for you this never happens during a gun fight! A SIG or H&K are much better in this. Because the SIG has no manual safty and the H&K is also different to handle.
But the Beretta is still my favorite!

------------------

I may be wrong but I think there are several models of pistols with manual safeties like the 92FS. Smiht & Wesson models 39, 59 and their descendants, some versions of Tanfoglio pistols have them as well some Jericho (IMI-Tanfoglio) pistols. I'm sure there are others but they escape me at present.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Probably, I was wrong about the safty. I did just compare with brands like SIG, H&K, Glock. Sorry for that.
But it dosen't change the fact, that I'm not happy about the manual safty latch on the slide, which is the decocking lever at the same time!
By the way: Try to get a 92G! Beretta modified the Pistol for exact that reason. The 92G has NO manual safty.

------------------

Back