The Ballester-Molina

I was fliping through a magazine the other day when I came across an article on The Ballester-Molina. I was wondering about some things that were said in the article. Like, It is just as good as an Colt 1911 and how it was so reliable etc. I was wondering if this was true, and if they still make and import them (which I doubt) and also the price of one. Thanx 4 the help :)

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again

They are still importing them and they are currently being offered in the Shotgun News at prices ranging from $150 to $200 depending on covdition. They do seem to be very reliable. However most parts are not interchangeable witg US made 1911 parts.

[This message has been edited by Hard Ball (edited January 08, 2000).]

Hi, guys,

The Ballester Molina is not really a copy of the Colt, more like a variation. For example, it has no grip safety or mainspring housing, and it is harder to detail strip and reassemble. In my experience, it is also softer and probably would not stand up to the type of extensive shooting it would be subjected to by, say, a target shooter.

That said, and within that limitation, it is reliable and reasonably accurate. In one respect the manual safety is superior to the Colt, since it blocks the hammer, not the sear, so that a blow struck to the hammer cannot damage the sear notch or the sear.

The guns are well worth the prices now being charged, although if I had a choice of a ""sistema" for the same price, I would prefer the latter. Both are good collectors items, so for that purpose, buy both if possible.

Jim

With full affection it is often called the "Ballerina Molester." The guns are crude, but for the dollar it can be put into service to last a lifetime for self defense on a budget. It is a .45 which is one thing good to start with.
Most of them are ugly and knocked around some. I've had a number of them and they take colt 1911 mags which is a BIG bonus.
They will shoot plenty accurate for self-defense and many will shoot hollowpoints with no work. Some need only a little ramp polish to feed SWC and HP's.
For self defense purposes the standard sights are just fine.
For $150-$200 you will have a peach of a gun of military quality. Some have been heavily modified and shoot well as a result. I would leave the gun AS IS. As for durability the guns are well made and you will never wear one out. Keep in mind the guns are 50 years old. I'd check and see which 1911 parts will fit it and get some replacements to have on hand and any others you may come accross. For the money you could do a lot worse. Someday we may all wish we bought a few at the prices we are seeing now.

Back