The answer to my RB-17 question

HappyGunOwnr

Inactive
Well, I went to the gun shop and decided to try RB-17. I can't believe how well this stuff works! My dad has a Ruger Mini-14 that he rarely cleaned. There was a huge build-up of copper in the bore. I have used Hoppe's #9, Tetra Copper Solvent, MPro7, J-B paste, and half of my patches trying to remove the copper. It still didn't come out. Amazingly, with just one application all copper was removed! I couldn't believe it! Well, out of my findings, MPro7 is the best at removing built-up powder and carbon, and, when used with a scouring pad, is very good a lead removal. RB-17 is unmatched for copper removal. I have not tried RB-17 on lead yet, so I can't tell you guys how good it is at that. Joe

Ever try a Outers Foul Out system? This is a electronic cleaning system that really gets the lead or copper out. I am very satisfied with the results.

Joefo

Happy, I hear ya. I got the Foul Out years ago at a real good price. I have had friends pay to use it so I really can't gripe. I would do it for free but the chemicals are expensive. I had a guy buy me a quart of copper solvent to do some guns for him and only used about a pint. I got to keep the rest so cleaning my own stuff just got cheaper. I did an old Garand with this thing and what a difference in accuracy. If I could see a difference then there must be something good about it.

Joefo

BEWARE of the HIGHLY caustic properties of RB17.
A Ph test will show it to be nearly as caustic as Drano.
That's right, Drano.
The only thing I would use it on is an SKS with a chrome bore that was right off the boat in VERY fouled out condition. Then NEUTRALIZE with a slightly acidic solution, then go after it with Shooters Choice to remove ALL residue.
This stuff has proven to be corrosive on gunmetal here in our shop like nothing else I have used. I keep it locked up so as to prevent tragedies with good weapons.
BE CAREFUL WITH IT!

Back