The Angry Caterpillar Has Morphed Into A Heavy Butterfly

Joe_Pike

Well, I decided that the Mossberg 590 Shockwave was just too much for these old hands to handle. Shooting it with the SBA3 brace was good, but I took the brace off because my crystal ball tells me that ATF is not a friend to the brace or gun owners in general. After I put the Raptor grip back on and putting 30 rounds through it I realized that my hands bleeding in three places when I left was probably a good indicator to go a different direction.
So, the Shockwave has morphed into a 20" 8+1 590 with an adjustable stock. Now I just have ho contend with "heavy".

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20201204_220732_copy_640x209.jpg
    20201204_220732_copy_640x209.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
"...ATF is not a friend to the brace or gun owners in general..." Unelected civil servants shouldn't be allowed to make laws by regulation. They shouldn't be allowed to export that idea either. Our idiots copied it.
Oh and the most useless thing on the planet is a shotgun with no stock.

....your statement that a stockless shotgun has no purpose...it kinda proves the point of the law of a weapon used for indiscriminate death...

might want to think on that one since the purpose of law is the regulation of safety when it benefits the majority :)

Oh and the most useless thing on the planet is a shotgun with no stock.

Well, the Shockwave didn't work for me, but I watched a video of a guy who had tamed his quite nicely. He was shooting skeet with it, shooting reactive targets out to 35 yards with it, shooting slugs out to 50 yards with it and was shooting a murder of crows with it that were pecking out the eyes of some of his calfs.

So, not worthless for everyone. YMMV.

Oh and the most PAINFUL THING on the planet is a shotgun with no stock.

- there, fixed it.

Actually have never shot a shotgun without a stock. I could try that with my 870 but.... I have no desire to and I've seen too many videos of people getting smacked in the mouth / face with one. Nice modern setup. Wait a minute, is that an AR grip on it? Or did that come with the 590? It looks a little like a Magpul MOE grip.

It's a Spike's AR grip, Mesa Tactical stock adapter and a Magpul MOE stock. I also added an enhanced safety.

butterflies

I am of the belief that you have created a far more useful shotgun. Any 8+1 gun will be a bit heavy, loaded all up, and your sidesaddle with on board ammo adds to that. However, I like to keep ammo onboard SD long guns as well, so that is not criticism.

I'd like to take a Shockwave the other direction, keep the stubby tube, add a conventional stock......but I do not want to deal with the paperwork.

I'd like to take a Shockwave the other direction, keep the stubby tube, add a conventional stock......but I do not want to deal with the paperwork.

That's really what I wanted to do but I didn't want the hassle either.

Correct me.

Does this mean you should dispose of your original Angry Caterpillar parts as you now have constructive intent to build a pistol (no longer an other) from a shotgun you've created? It never was a pistol like a rifle.

Yep, yep. Just checking if my logic was right. Unlike rifle was it pistol or rifle first talk, I have no idea if "other" can have convertible items or not. Never hear a blip on what you did. Interesting.

I couldn't legally go back to the Shockwave, so, I just sold the parts to avoid any hassle. I don't happen to agree with the rule, but that doesn't seem to hold weight with anybody.

For years, Mossberg sold their "Cruiser" model with both stock and pistol grip- so I opine you could go from shotgun back to "firearm" legally.
Though the Cruiser did come with an 18.5" barrel.:confused:

I think the Cruiser is a "pistol grip shotgun" and the Shockwave is a "pistol grip firearm". Two different animals according to ATF as I understand it.

Back