The .376 Steyr Cartridge

• Thread starter Thread starter CP
  • Start date Start date

CP

Inactive
Has anyone shot this round or seen a factory rifle chambered for it? Allegedly, it was scheduled to be available for sale last month in the Steyr Pro-Hunter. I understand that it generates ballistic numbers in the same league as the 338 Win. Mag. and it produces those results by pushing a 270 gr. bullet through a short 20" barrel. I am curious about the recoil and muzzle blast that this little package will spawn. If it is manageable, this could be a dandy North Idaho elk rifle. CP.

In my mind, the Cunnel has very particular things in mind when he chooses a rifle (or a pistol) -- subtle things that somebody who hadn't shot as much would not even notice.

I'm sure that the Dragoon would be a super rifle for someone that could appreciate its qualities and exploit them, or just somebodey who wanted one. For the rest of us, myself included, a good ol' 375 H&H would not be a bad choice for a medjum bore. A 3/4" inch longer bolt stroke takes very little longer than the shorty stroke with the turnbolt action. The biggest liability with the longer cartridge is that the rifle probably weighs a pound or so more. Actually with a decent kicker like the H&H, that may be a virtue over the super light 376 Dragoon!

Besides, there's nothing like those panatela sized cartridges to make your heart swell with pride and your buddies to turn green with envy! I can't tell you how many times guys have felt the need to explain to me *Damn I've only got a 338!!*

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

Back