the .243 vs th .22-250

I am looking cassually at picking up a varmit rifle. Can anyone tell me how these two stand up agianst each other. What the pluses and minuses are of each in comparison to the other.
Thanks alot 189...

Tough choice! You've narrowed it down to the two best varmint rounds on the face of the planet.

The .243 has always been my choice for two reasons:

1) It has a slight advantage in wind bucking ability at extreme ranges (over 350 yards).

2) In my state it's the only one of the two that is legal for deer too. Ain't nuthin' like reaching out and touching a buck in the next time zone!

Neither has enough recoil to really be an issue and excellent ammo is readily available for both, in case you don't reload.

Mikey

I had the same decision that you have to make. I ended up buying the .243 because the trajectory between the two didn't seem to make that much of a difference and I can get a heavier bullet (100gr) for the .243 as backup deer rifle.

------------------

L.D.

For purely varmints, I'd go with the .22-250. If you also want to go after deer, I'd recommend the .243.

I've used both, and like them both. Extremely accurate, and many effective commercial loadings are available. It gets even better if you handload.

For either cartridge I'd recommend the Hornady ammo with the Sierra bullets. I don't know what powder they use, but they are pretty close to my tailored handloads for accuracy...

FWIW, Art

Just to throw some extra confusion in the mix.....look at the 6mm. Beats the 243 if you are tending to go that way...again as Art said; "even better if you reload".

Really...if its gonna dbl as a deer rifle look at the 244 cals.

Huntschool
"single shot shooters only shoot once"

If you can only have one, go with the .243.
I have both, and love them to death.
Both very accurate, and the 22-250 is like a death ray on gophers and coyotes.

The wife likes the .243 for deer and antelope. She shoots them where they play... :)

To consider the 243 you must be able to choose the barrel twist. Pick a 14 twist barrel so that it will perform with the 60 gr. Varmint bullet. If you want to move up to deer you go with the 75 gr bullet which will handle the deer real well. I am really a 6MM (244 Rem) fan and would pick it over both the other cartridges. But as I say only if you can select the twist

Ok, First thanks for all the info, its appreciated, second could someone explain what the twist of a barrel is?
Also at distance what does the .22-250 do in comparison to the .243? At say 350 does it drop more or less that the .243, by how much?

thanks 189...

[This message has been edited by 18908148 (edited March 14, 2000).]

Most people consider the effective range of a varmint rifle as the range where the sure kill shot stops. If it doesn't pop him and leave a pink cloud you are beyond the effective range. For a 60 gr pill that is in the low 300s The twist is the amount of barrel that it takes to make the bullet rotate one full turn. You want a longer twist for the lighter the bullet. .When shooting heavier bullets out of faster twist barrels you increase the hit range but decrease the poping range. You will have more crawl into their holes to die slowly when you use an 85 gr bullet due to over penetration and slower velocity

Barrel twist, or rifling twist, defines how many twists of rifling occur within a certain length of barrel. For example, a barrel that is 1 in 14" means that the spiral rifling makes one full twist of the bore surface in 14 inches.

Knowing rifling twist is important in choosing your bullet weight. As a rule of thumb, the heavier the bullet, the tighter the twist should be to stabilize the bullet in flight. In my M1A, I shoot 168 gr. bullets and find that a 1 in 10" twist barrel is ideal. 1 in 14" would not provide the same stability, but may be just fine with a 150 gr. bullet.

Hope this helps.

Back