Thanksgiving Message

David Schmidbauer

Retired Screen Name
As we approach our annual feast of gratitude it is well to go back to its beginnings in order to understand what we are celebrating. We counsel the TF to read the following proclamation to all and sundry upon the occasion of their Thanksgiving dinner. (attributed to Col. Cooper, Gunsite Gossip)

"Whereas,
it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful of His benefits and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and

"Whereas,
both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me 'to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness;

"Now, therefore,
I do recommend and assign Thursday, the twenty-sixth day of November next to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our service and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

"And also,
that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a government of wise, just and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the third day of October, A.D. 1789."

G. Washington

Happy Thanksgiving Firing Line!!!

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited November 24, 1999).]

How many of our national holidays (Thanksgiving among them) have become, in the consciousness of virtually everybody, just another day off from work? All I can say to your post, Gunny, is AMEN and thank you.

Gunny-
This year's Thanksgiving feast at Casa Luci will serve upwards of sixteen friends and family from around the nation. It's an annual week long party.

I was trying to decide which of the children I'd ask to say grace. I've now decided to do so personally. and you've given me the words!
Miss no opportunity to connect the dots between America, Liberty, the Constitution and God!
Thanks,
Rich Lucibella

Connecting dots.....

Thank you to all the member of The Firing Line for a year of discussion,
camaraderie, argument, dissertation, information, friendship, humor,
sadness, help, grief, and excitement.

For all this and more, I wish the very best to you and yours for
Thanksgiving and the future.

Recitation of these historical resolutions by any public official (including, most importantly, our public school teachers) would likely be declared "unconstitutional". We've really come a long way as a nation, don't you think?

By the way, the following qualifier should have been added after G. Washington:

"Charter Member, Vast Right Wing Conspiracy; Slave Owner; Racist Pig; He After Whom No Public School Should be Named"

Happy Thanksgiving All,
Oscar

This year will be the first Thanksgiving without both of my parents. My brothers and I miss them because Thanksgiving was always a special day when all of the family including uncles, aunts, cousins, etc., got together under one roof to celebrate.

My parents were children of The Depression and worked hard to ensure we kids never went without. They also gave us an appreciation for the qualities of duty, honor, and responsible behavior which seems lacking in many including those occupying the highest offices in the land.

I am extremely proud and thankful for having Mom and Pop as my parents. Their story is located at http://www.bruels.com/Pollees.htm

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, each and everyone of you.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.
Sgt., Kings Co. Sheriff - Ret.

GySgt. Schmidbauer,

Thank you for providing the 22 members of my extended family with our meditation prior to pigging out on Thursday. I will be reading this around 12:30pm as will (I suspect) many others around the country.

Thanks for sharing this.

-Dave

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

I, too, wish Gunny, Rich, DC, et. al. a Happy Thanksgiving. May those that need to learn or remember why and how the day came into being, be afforded the chance to do so.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Thank you Gunny..from my deceased USMC Sgt father and me

I'm thankful that that indomitable spirit exists amongst us today....the days seem dark at times, and those who would whore our birthright as Americans and humanity, and sell us into slavery, are strong and rising.

I give thanks and best wishes to the TFL membership. Keep the faith, never surrender, and our grandchildren will still know this is more than a day off work.

Have a great Thanksgiving folks

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Thanks, Gunny, tha's a great reminder what it's really about. I too, will be reading it at the table later today.

I'd like to extend our best wishes to our firends at TFL for a happy and joyfull Thanksgiving, and a safe journey for those who travel to be with friends and loved ones.

Mike & Marci Muth

Thanks Gunny and would just like to add my heartfelt greetings to you and the rest of the gang here. We are lucky enough to still have both of my parents, both in their 70's, with us and they are here today. The holidays at our house are missing my very much loved sister, who lost her battle with cancer in 1995, and as she looks down on us and is here in spirit, I hope she knows how thankful we are that we had her here in the physical sense for as long as we did. Happy Thanksgiving. From Steve and Lisa and family.

------------------
You can never have too much ammo!---- Me (being a role model to my 5 year old)

Back