Thanks to TFL-ers: I'm getting a Ruger KGP-141

AndyP

I mostly lurk around the semi-auto forum, but I needed to get a general purpose revolver as a house gun/fun gun/whatever. (My wife doesn't like semi-autos, so a revolver it has to be.) Consequently I've been looking at the recent discussions here on what sort of guns fit this bill. Thanks to all of you who participated in these discussions, as they were quite informative.

I decided to get a stainless Ruger GP-100 with 4" full lug barrel and adjustable sights in 38/357. Ordering through my gunsmith I get it at 20% over dealer's price--about $375. I'll be adding Hogue rubber grips for a total of $400. I have a few pangs of guilt selling my Glock 19 to make this possible (it was my first gun), but I look forward to being in WheelgunLand. An added benefit: I now get to reload in a "classic" caliber (9mm and .40 were getting so boring)!

Thanks again,
AndyP

Have fun with it. I just bought one
not too long ago. Don't know why I
waited so long. Great gun.

Congrats! The GP 100 (& SP 101) are the finest .357 magnum DA revolvers currently made IMO. You will love it.

Just shoot it a lot to break the trigger in and you'll be in great shape.

Admire your brain.

Prefer the Pachmayr Decelerators to the Hogues, and suggest adding a Millett orange-ramp front sight blade.

Finish your loads with the superb Redding Profile Crimp die (WILL improve accuracy!)

H110
W296
Vihta 3N37 (heavy bullets only)
Vihta N110
H Universal Clays (mid-range loads)
W231 (light loads)
H TiteGroup ("cowboy" loads)

Right on. I bought the same gun a couple months ago. Really pleased with it. I think I have talked myself into a SP-101. I don't approve of selling guns for any reason, but I only make my own decisions and think you got the better end of the deal. The factory grips on the GP-100 are the only set of factory grips exhibited in my safe. I really like them. In fact I don't see anything about the out of the box gun that I would change. The .357 is a great cartridge to load for. There are all kinds of options in bullets and powders.

Thanks for the replies and encouragement, folks. I've sent WESHOOT2 some off-line questions about reloading for 38 Special.

Congrats, I bought the same model many years ago and have never regretted it. It has become my wifes night time "feel safe" gun as she isn't crazy about semiautos.

Back