• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

TFL Women

Gary H

Just a question..and one suggestion.

I would like to see more women active on TFL. This board has some of the same characteristics as my childhood gym. At that time, few women frequented gyms and few men washed their clothing. The addition of women has been a great nose relief. I often wonder if the testosterone nature of the board might scare off interested women. How might we attract more women? One thought, a Womens Only area where only women post. Might be a good area to get ones feet wet.

Female moderators are a good start and bravo TFL.

Personally, I don't like the idea of a women's only forum. That would only result in segragating them from the rest of TFL and that wouldn't be too productive.

Caeca-
You catch on quick.

Gary-
This has been discussed every now and then from day one. It's generally been shot down specifically for the reasons just mentioned. There really is no difference between women's and men's carry issues. Most vocal among the opponents of the concept are the Ladies of TFL.

There's not thousands of 'em, but there's a bunch. You just need to look for their posts, as "female" isn't usually tattooed to their sleeve. ;)

Still, your point is well taken. This is one of the few Forums where ladies can expect an absolute minimum of the usual internet harassment...we welcome them here.
Rich

Yes, I think that might be initially true. I suspect that some women would never go to such a forum. Most would eventually migrate to other areas of the board. If we limited women to only that forum, we would segregate and discriminate. Perhaps this is a form of affirmative action. In my mind, affirmative action is only useful in early, limited intervention and beyond that it becomes discrimination.

Rich.. You posted while I was typing.

I do not believe that it is fully appropriate, as a male (in reference to myself), to suggest such a thing. If a need exists, women would come forward and make such a suggestion. I agree that women are generally treated with great respect on TFL. I also agree that most issues are not gender related. Having said all of that, I wonder how many women read posts, but are hesitant to post? This is a phenomenon common in classrooms of mixed sex.

[Edited by Gary H on 01-28-2001 at 08:30 PM]

I'll agree that a woman's only section is a poor idea... But seeing as how Rich has already said that, I'm sure my oppinion wouldn't mean to very much ;)

As far as posting. The only time I feel hesitant to post is when they start talking over my head. Come on! I can take appart my 10/22, clean it, and put it back together. Thats about the extent of my gun knowledge. That's why I'm here... To learn.

I feel welcome here and I would hope my lack of posts doesnt put it across that this site isnt worth my time, quite the opposite. I've seen other message boards and they got about 3 seconds of my time before I was 7 sites away. TFL is a board with it's own definition of greatness that no other board I have found has been able to top.

When the people of this board can trounce a troll with knowledge instead of childish threats you know it's something worth hanging on to. :)

Oh, have I mentioned, I just love your software guru?

Same goes for LE only forums. We share and share alike at TFL and we'd rather promote unity among shooters than divisiveness. After all, we're all in it together when it comes to defending the Second Amendment.

Bravo. Though, if there's ever a forum dedicated to women's issues, I volunteer to mod or co-mod it!

I, too, have often wondered about productive ways to increase female empowerment through martial arts, shooting, and political activization. Still pondering...there just aren't enough DC's (the moderator) to go around!

Back