Texas Paterson 9"

BoondockSaint

I was wondering if anyone could help me with purchasing a Texas Paterson.Im very new to black powder but I really like the look of the black powder revolvers and decided the Paterson was the one that I wanted. I would like one in a 9" barrel, but Pietta is the only make I could find in a 9". Any advise on purchasing as in where to buy? or a better make than the Pietta? Also is there a cartridge conversion?

THANKS!!!

I am not sure if there is a conversion for that type
of pistol, i assume its in 44 cal maybe some of the
guys on this forum might no the answer to that
question, as far as the maker pietta there is nothing
worng with there guns, i have had one of there pistols
for some time now and still going strong.:D
Shoot safe and have fun.

The Paterson is a five shot .36 with no loading lever, no trigger guard and a drop trigger. Not exactly what I'd recommend for a beginner to learn on.

I agree with Hawg Haggen. If you are very new to black powder then you might not want a gun - yet - that you have to remove the barrel and cylinder to reload each time. So far, there are no cartridge cylinders available for it.

A better choice would be a Remington or Colt Army or Navy replica by Uberti or Pietta. After you get some BP experience with those, then I would think about a Patterson, especially since the Patterson mechanism is more complicated than the others with its folding trigger. A different gun that you would need to pull the barrel off of to reload, which is also a fun gun is the Wells Fargo model pocket pistol, since it does not have a loading lever, either.

There is a Patterson replica out there that does have a loading lever. But as others have said, if you are new to this, then something else is probably warranted first so you can get into this AND have fun.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Back