Texas LTC instructor certification

lefty620

I'm looking to get my LTC instructor certification so I can instruct and license family and friends. Could anyone help me with where to get started and what i need to do. I know i have to get NRA certified, but in what exactly? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Go here and read the 'Instructor' questions.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm
Kind of suspect they might consider "so I can instruct and license family and friends" as not something they'd want to hear though. Whole thing won't be cheap either.
"...NRA credentials. (Must be certified to instructor handgun/pistol)."
This came from this other site. http://www.txchia.org/insthow.htm
"As an instructor candidate you are required to take the practical with both a revolver and a semi-auto, and pass each with a score of 90%."

The shooting is easy. I'd submit everyone should be shooting 90%.
:D:D:D

You're shooting at a B27 (full sized silhouette) at 3, 7 and 15 yards.
Most people I know shot well over 90%, many 100%.
You get 5 points for each hit within the *8* ring, roughly a 10" x 20" oval area.

Here's the breakdown:
Twenty shots from 3 yards.
Twenty shots from 7 yards
Ten shots from 15 yards

Good luck!

Sharkbite,
there are time limits:
3 yards, 20 rounds
1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time

7 yards, 20 rounds
5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

15 yards, 10 rounds
2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

Those times are a realistic benchmark for the avg skillset.

I would want anyone I was going to for training to be able to do at least that.

Sharkbite speaketh:
Those times are a realistic benchmark for the avg skillset.

I would want anyone I was going to for training to be able to do at least that.

Yep, especially police officers, in places like New York City. Apparently their average shooting isn't up to Texas CHL / LTC standards, based on news reports over the last few years...

I would think knowledge of the law is as important as shooting skills. I came into this all gung ho. After the class, my thoughts are using a handgun IS a dire last resort.

On a side note, I just took the class on 5/1, qualified on 5/4 and electronically filed. my fingerprints and paperwork on 5/5 with an acknowledgement from the State of Texas. My license came in the male on 6/4----yesterday. They've upped their game and in an era when Republicans are hated, my hat goes off to the GOP controlled state government for making this possible.

Your licence did what on 6/4? snicker.
"...a realistic benchmark for the avg. skill set..." A firearms/CHL instructor should not be of average skill. Kind if the point of all the proofs of training and back ground required. However, the course of fire really makes no difference. Like Will says, knowledge of the law would matter too. One would assume the NRA and DPS instructor's course would cover that though.
"...Apparently their average shooting isn't..." Isn't up here either. Most cops, up here, never fire their service piece except for their annual qualifying.

The guy that gave me my CHL classes was a personal friend and coworker. It seemed like a lengthy process, I know he had to travel to Austin a couple of times. I'm not sure what's involved anymore but it used to be all spelled out on the DPS website

thanks for the link and info. I try and shoot at least twice a week 150 rounds each time, so im not too worried about the qualification shooting. Its just something I think at least one person should have in a family/group of friends. Even Texas police are surprisingly ineffective with their firearms most i know shoot maybe twice a year and even that's pushing it

Back