Texas DPS Overwhelmed!

I expect that someone in Texas should mount a Constitutional challenge to the CCW licensing and open carry statutory structure in Texas.

Since open carry is illegal, your ability to exercise your Article 1, Section 23 right to bear arms for lawful self-defense is predicated on paying a tax to and gaining permission from the government, and that means that they're treating the guarantee of Section 23 as a privilege, not a fundamental constitutional right.

The legislature should ask itself how crime is prevented by prohibiting open carry, or by converting the right into a privilege through a licensing scheme.

Hopefully people are getting smarter about taking action to protect their rights (or licensed privilege, depending on point of view).

I got my CCW before I even had a concealable weapon or holster. I just wanted to support the program.

It was about 6 mos before I got the money to buy a proper gun and holster.

You would not believe the animosity against the possibility of open carry in Texas......and not from the antis.

Supposed freedom loving individuals are spouting the usual gibberish.

I personally would appreciate any folks who support us Texicans seeking our full 2A rights to join our forums.

Anygunanywhere

As with anything else there are some excellent pros and cons in the CC and OC camps. What is great is being able to have both perspectives on the matter.

Get it while you can, I'll bet the gun dealers here in Texas are enjoying increased sales.

Soon we'll have enough for a well regulated militia if needed.

Came on today specifically to post about this; my local paper, the Austin Statesman-American, had a story saying DPS is overwhelmed, and it's taking about 90 days to process new applications, 30 days over the statutory limit. The story says applications were up 40 percent last month over the same time a year ago, and last week almost 1,900 applications were filed.

The story speculated that concern over the possibility of a Democrat in the White House could be the cause. A CHL trainer says it might just be cyclical; he says he's always busy in the spring, dozing in the winter. Also read a suggestion from Clint Smith (I think it was him) in one of the gun mags that if there's a gun you really want, get it now; don't wait until ClinBama gets in office and starts churning out new restrictions on guns.

Whatever the reason, I'm applauding my fellow Texans. The more people carrying the less likely politicians (God, there's a word I've grown to hate!) will try to change the law.

I think there has been a surge in various crimes past 10 months although I'm sure officials would disagree, however Texas has a high number of illegal immigrants along with a fast growing population.

I would like to see open carry in Texas overall I'm not a big fan of open carry
but it does provide more options and solves the problem of printing.

I just don't get how the legislature thinks that a ban on open carry and licensing of concealed carry can possibly square with the Texas Constitution or centuries of Texas cultural tradition. Would they impose a license with training requirements in order to print a newspaper, "with a view to prevent crime?"

My wife is caught up in this mess. We got her renewal in early, and she is now past the 45 day period to get her license back.

I did an address change on both our CHL's last August and we got them back within 2 weeks. My last renewal was completed in about 4 weeks in 2006, so there is definitely pressure on DPS right now.

I can't recall this much of a delay since late 1999, early 2000.

-SS

That Texas is overwhelmed is a good thing. I'd like to see lots of other states overwhelmed too.

This should hurt the Brady Bunch's campaign suggestion that CCW is a dangerous, gun crazed, minority.

So what recourse does an applicant have when their Article 1 Section 23 right to armed self-defense is denied by a bureaucratic snag?

Back