Texas Concealed Carry Class, what to expect?

50 rounds.

If your gun functions and you aren't a danger to yourself or others, you should pass easily.

http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/TexasCHL/CHLtest.html

If you can consistently keep all your shots inside the 8 ring of a B27 silhouette at 3 yards (about 12" groups) and within the 7 ring of a B27 silhouette at 7 yards (about 15" groups) then you can pass the test with 5 points to spare without even shooting any of the 10 rounds fired at the 15 yard line.

OR, if you can consistently keep all your shots inside the 8 ring of a B27 silhouette at 3 yards (about 12" groups) and can hit the silhouette ANYWHERE in the colored portion (roughly the size of a human torso + head) with at least 25 of your remaining 30 shots at 7 and 15 yards then you will pass.

In my opinion, the shooting portion of the class is to allow the instructor to assess your ability to safely handle the firearm more than it is an actual marksmanship qualification.

The class is NOT a shooting class, nor is it a firearms training class. It's about laws more than anything else. The class is divided into two roughly equal portions. One covers the TX CHL laws and the other covers the TX Deadly Force laws.

Use an automatic for the test or you'll get licensed for revolver only. You'll need to use a 32 or bigger to qualify. I rented a 9mm auto because although I carry a revolver I didn't want to be limited.

The shooting part is easy. Pay attention to the law part, it's the important part to understand.

Once licensed you carry whatever you want to carry, no designation for a particular gun except the revolver only thing.

...and make sure you know how your weapon functions. The last recert class there was a guy on the end with a brand new in the box auto of some sort (NIB? ...this was a recert class, what has he been carrying?) He failed the range because he could not adequately load and make ready his pistol.

As someone else mentioned, even if you wish to carry a revolver, I would try to qualify with an automatic. And it's not about how good you shoot, it's about being 'good enough,' and good enough is enough to pass. Pick a weapon you know and can shoot, even if it isn't the one you intend to carry.

Back