Testing results, 44mag in a 20in barrel henry

Shadow9mm

So I finally made time to work up my 44mag loads for my 20in barrel Henry. Did 2 testing session, had a chronograph error on the first outing and lost one of my data sets. Finished testing today.

Goal was a full power hunting load using the Hornady XTP's. Wanted to get them up to 1500fps, as the label recommended not exceeding that velocity.

Brass - Starline 44 mag
Powder - H110 (listed max from Hornady in rifle data was 24.8g)
Primers, Winchester large pistol (for standard or mag loads)
Bullet, 240g Hornady XTP
all charges weighed, not thrown.

Session 1, 3/5/2022 temp about 65F
H110
20.3g, 5rnds, average 1411fps, SD 6.02, ES 15fps
20.8g, 5rnds, average 1423fps, SD 32.87, ES 91 (per the hornady manual this was supposed to be 1500fps out of a 18in barrel so I started here and went 0.5 high and low)
21.1g, app did not save data, if I remember right it was around 1440fps

Session 2, 3/10/2022 temp about 52F
H110
21.5g, 9rnds, average 1462fps, SD 26.71, ES 73
22.0g 10rnds, average 1480fps, SD 12.71, ES 37
22.5g 10rnds, average 1498fps, SD 15.60, ES 49
23.0g 10rnds, average 1553fps, SD 21.99, ES 69

I will be re-testing a 10rnds string at 20.3g to see if I can duplicate the ES and SD since it was so consistent.

For my hunting load I settled on 22.0g. The ES is acceptable, and the velocity is right in the window I was looking for.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I just loaded up for my 1895 Marlin in the same powder, 240gr, at 23.0gr to start.
What bullet you using?

I have found threads to be so helpful over the last several years finding good real world results. So I try and post my work-ups when I can to try and give a little bit back.

A point of caution: By some published data, some of the above charges are below minimum. H110 is canister-grade WC (Western Cannon) 296, made by the St. Marks, Florida plant now owned by General Dynamics. When Winchester started selling this powder a year or two after Hodgdon did under the H110 name, the charge was fixed. For a 240-grain bullet in 44 Magnum, the Winchester load was 24 grains, period. The Handloader was advised not to attempt either to raise or lower the charge. It was a one-recipe-per-bullet-weight powder with no lower starting loads. The reason for this is something Hodgdon used to warn about on their web site, and that is that occasionally lower loads could fail to sustain combustion, extinguishing and leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel for the the next round to be fired into, a rather dangerous and potentially very damaging event. Hodgdon went a little more flexible on this, providing a short range of loads and recommending never to load more than 3% below their published minimum of 23 grains, which would work out to a lower limit of about 22.3 grains.

Hornady publishes a wider range, with their starting load a full 16% below maximum. They seem pretty clearly to be ignoring the warning about squibs altogether. The squib events would be rare to begin with, and most likely in revolvers, with their barrel/cylinder gaps to help drop pressure after the bullet passes it!. So it is perfectly possible to imagine Hornady going through a test series without ever seeing a problem, even if loading that powder that low still isn't a good idea.

It is perfectly possible there won't be an issue, especially not in a gun with no barrel/cylinder gap. But do remain alert for any round that sounds funny or doesn't recoil the way others do, or that has smoke curling it of the chamber. In such instances it is best to drop a cleaning rod in to check for sure there is no bullet stuck somewhere in the bore.

A point of caution: By some published data, some of the above charges are below minimum. H110 is canister-grade WC (Western Cannon) 296, made by the St. Marks, Florida plant now owned by General Dynamics. When Winchester started selling this powder a year or two after Hodgdon did under the H110 name, the charge was fixed. For a 240-grain bullet in 44 Magnum, the Winchester load was 24 grains, period. The Handloader was advised not to attempt either to raise or lower the charge. It was a one-recipe-per-bullet-weight powder with no lower starting loads. The reason for this is something Hodgdon used to warn about on their web site, and that is that occasionally lower loads could fail to sustain combustion, extinguishing and leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel for the the next round to be fired into, a rather dangerous and potentially very damaging event. Hodgdon went a little more flexible on this, providing a short range of loads and recommending never to load more than 3% below their published minimum of 23 grains, which would work out to a lower limit of about 22.3 grains.

Hornady publishes a wider range, with their starting load a full 16% below maximum. They seem pretty clearly to be ignoring the warning about squibs altogether. The squib events would be rare to begin with, and most likely in revolvers, with their barrel/cylinder gaps to help drop pressure after the bullet passes it!. So it is perfectly possible to imagine Hornady going through a test series without ever seeing a problem, even if loading that powder that low still isn't a good idea.

It is perfectly possible there won't be an issue, especially not in a gun with no barrel/cylinder gap. But do remain alert for any round that sounds funny or doesn't recoil the way others do, or that has smoke curling it of the chamber. In such instances it is best to drop a cleaning rod in to check for sure there is no bullet stuck somewhere in the bore.

Good info as always Unklenick, thank you! I puleld my data from Hornady since I was using their bullets. All the rounds have been stout and lightly flattened the primers. They had little to no air gap below the bullet, I seated a hair deep, only about 1/4 of the crimp groove showing above the mouth of the case. They fed very smoothly.

Here's the Hornady, Hodgdon and speer data for reference. It seems Hornady and Speer both go lower for rifles. But I was definitely at the low end starting out.

Pistol
Hodgdon start 23.0, max 24.0
Hornady start 20.7g, max 24.8g
speer start 23.2, max 24.7

Rifle
Hodgdon start 23.0g, max 24.0g
Hornady start 19.4g, max 24.8g
Speer start 20.5g, max 24.0

Seeing as hornady lists the 240g XTP for muzzle velocities from 700-1500fps I cant really push any harder without going past the limits of the bullet itself.

Last edited:
Read about the same thing, Unclenick. I was nervous to start at such a "high" charge at 23gr. However, with what I read up and was told by other more experienced reloaders with H110, I took the advice to start at 23.

Shadow, I'm using Hornady XTP and Berry's JHP in 240gr to start. Not well versed in .44Mag. So, I wanted to stay with one powder and maybe 2 different bullets.

Read about the same thing, Unclenick. I was nervous to start at such a "high" charge at 23gr. However, with what I read up and was told by other more experienced reloaders with H110, I took the advice to start at 23.

Shadow, I'm using Hornady XTP and Berry's JHP in 240gr to start. Not well versed in .44Mag. So, I wanted to stay with one powder and maybe 2 different bullets.
Im just getting into 44mag as well. I settled on 240g bullets and am using the xtp, and I have a mold for a 240g gas checked swc for casting. H110 is my go to for 44 and 357 mag for full power loads. It's been a great powder, just not very flexible working down. I'm hoping to test aa#7 and power pistol in 44mag as well in the next few months as well as they don't need magnum primers. Only have 299 of those left but I have plenty of regular large pistol left.

Last edited:
Shadow9mm
I'm not quite sure why your velocities are so slow with a 20 inch barrel. I have loaded, XTP, powder coated, and extreme copper plated 240grain bullets for my Marlin 20 inch carbine and 23-24 grains of H110 usually gets me between 1700 and 1800fps.
I have noticed Extreme says to keep the velocities around 1500, but why would a hornady fmj xtp be limited? It should hold up just fine faster than 1500fps.

Shadow9mm
I'm not quite sure why your velocities are so slow with a 20 inch barrel. I have loaded, XTP, powder coated, and extreme copper plated 240grain bullets for my Marlin 20 inch carbine and 23-24 grains of H110 usually gets me between 1700 and 1800fps.
I have noticed Extreme says to keep the velocities around 1500, but why would a hornady fmj xtp be limited? It should hold up just fine faster than 1500fps.
Not sure, I expected better velocity too, but thats what I'm getting.

States on the box "velocity range: 700 to 1500fps"
https://images.app.goo.gl/tHFtB6GDu8FWv8EBA

However on hornadys website. It says it's rated for 900 to 2,200 fps... I'm gonna have to call and ask.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with hornady. They said there may be a misprint on the boxes. They said they the 900- 2200 should be the correct info. Looks like I will be doing some more testing and give them a big push.

Last edited:
I was going to make a similar comment.
My Marlin 1894 has a 20.5" barrel.
My velocities with "standard" .44 Mag loads are generally 1,800 fps at the bottom end, on up to about 2,100 fps with some loads.
1,500 fps is eye-catchingly slow compared to my experience.

(But I also don't load with H110 for the rifle. So, I dunno.)

I was going to make a similar comment.
My Marlin 1894 has a 20.5" barrel.
My velocities with "standard" .44 Mag loads are generally 1,800 fps at the bottom end, on up to about 2,100 fps with some loads.
1,500 fps is eye-catchingly slow compared to my experience.

(But I also don't load with H110 for the rifle. So, I dunno.)
What powders are you using? What Bullets and or weights? Those are good results.

My henry seems to have a rough barrel. No real machining or chatter marks, but the surfaces are just not super even. Almost looks like hammer forged, does not look cut. from a squeaky clean barrel that I used jb bore paste and jb bore bright it had a lot more copper fouling than I anticipated after just 40 rounds, the lands were completely coated in copper.

I'm going to adjust the col a bit and see if I can increase the crimp a bit for the next batch of testing, see if that helps.

25.0gr of H110 has been the standard load in silhouette competition for decades for a 240gr bullet. It should sing a sweet song in your Henry rifle. It does in my 10" Freedom Arms revolver.

What powders are you using? What Bullets and or weights? Those are good results.
I wish I could remember more, but I had a couple rough years before the recent years that were rough for everyone. I haven't shot it in 5-6 years, and haven't loaded for it for longer.
But I generally use Alliant 2400 for the rifle loads.
The faster bullets are 180-220 gr. 'Normal' is 240-275 gr. 'Heavies' run 275-335 gr.

I will say, however, that I am still burning through a load my brother put together for a S&W M629 and Ruger SBH, that clocked 1,730 fps out of a 6.5" barrel and 1,800 fps out of a 7.5" barrel. 180 gr XTP over Accurate #7.
Well over 2,300 fps from the 20.5" barrel of the 1894. Technically within limits, according to the manual that he loaded with at the time. And it has never presented issues with primers, primer pockets, extraction, etc. But, hooodoggies, it's screaming. (And why it was not mentioned previously, and has taken me more than 10 years to burn through the limited amount of ammo.)

Back