tents for camping

gunmart

my son is crossing over in a few weeks from wheblos to boy scouts and i need some advice on tents.

i want a two or three man tent that is quick to take down and quick to put up.it needs to be so easy that i can even do it:):):):)the dome tents they use where really nice and easy but i figured since they where on a budjet that there is somthing alot better out there..

compactness is not really a big issue since i will mostly be setting it up from the truck.(no major hikes planed)

help please!!!

I have a Eureka pup tent (sleeps two comfortably) that is light, durable and blessedly waterproof. PLUS it is a SNAP to set up (poles with bungee cords running through them. sheer genius). I bought it from a factory store (oh my...the stitching is a 1/4 inch off on the fly. Horror!), and payed WELL under $200 bucks. Heck, probably about $100.

Not the best tent on the market, I'm sure, but its a good line.

Mike

IMHO, Eureka makes the best tents for the money. My general purpose tent is Eureka and I love it. I have used about once a month for the past 6 years (a little less lately)and it still keeps the water out, which is the important thing. Several of the people I camp with also have Eureka tents and none have had any problems of which I know. Eureka makes a variety of tents and I am sure there is one that will fits your needs. Also, REI brand tents also seem to be well constructed and a bargin at that.

Here are a couple of places to look:
http://www.campmor.com
http://www.rei.com
http://www.eurekatent.com

I had one of the original 2-man Eureka Timberline tents. The piece of junk practically disintegrated one night on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Well, somehow the 17-year-old tent survived the week with a little re-engineering, but I gave it to some kids for a playhouse.

Are the new ones that good?

John

I bought a Sierra Designs "Half Moon II" tent last year. I've only used it twice, so that's hardly an endurance test, but it is very sturdy yet light and has lots of nice features. It is, bar none, the easiest tent I have ever seen to put up. I bought it locally (Galyans) so I'm not sure where it can be found in your area. Cost was around $130.

Eureka Timberline

johnbt,
Several of the guys that I camp with use the Timberline. They seem to be well made and all the guys seem to be happy with them. In fact, one of them had an old Timberline like the one you mentioned and he just bought a new one to replace it. He also seems to be very happy with the new one. The new Timberlines come in several variations (which I don't know that much about), so you might want to check into that before getting a new one.

I have a Sierra Design Outlook that I bought in 1996. It is a three(+) person tent that has been abused from the Superstition Wilderness to the White Mountains and up into the Colorado Plateau. It cost more than 200$, but it has been (and still is) worth every penny.

I used a Walrus Arch Rival 2 man tent during my 5 months of hiking the Appalachian Trail.It was beat on extensively during my travels and came home without a rip or tear.It is of the hoop design.Only 2 poles and 6 stakes.It was also had great ventilation on hot humid nights.I payed $119 for it at Campmoor.There are also other Wlrus tents that are built for 3-4 people.They are very strong and will last you a long time.

Ureka! makes some good stuff. I'd go for the 4-season types which cost a bit more. Walrus has some very good tents as does North Face.

Shop around a bit (links provided are a good start) & maybe hit Sierra Trading Post in Cheyene, WY (nope, no contact info but do check information as they have tons of "close-outs" & very good deals on great equipment - bags too). Call 'em ask for a catalog.

Whatever you get, get something that will stand up to more wind than you thought you'd need it for AND that will keep out the rain.

The whole purpose of a tent is to provide a roof over your head in nasty weather - otherwise you'd be out playing & gettin' a tan. ;)

You do want to impress on your kiddos that camping is fun - even in the crummy stuff & Dad knows how to do all that - right?

BTW, just because it's a dome tent doesn't meant jack about shedding the wind. I've seen some blown flat to the ground (still pegged in but still flat - the howls & "conversations" about that tent's quality were something to hear).

One of THE most bullet-proof tents you can buy is the North Face V-24 or V-25 - pricey (about 1/2 price through Sierra Traders, BTW, if they have it) but with in a 60+MPH hail storm, well worth it (every time).

Back