Tennessee Gun Laws being Considered 3/19/08

waynesan

The following changes to Tennessee's Gun Laws are scheduled to be heard next week 3/19/08 in the Criminal and Practice and Procedure Sub Committee of the State House.

HB0702 Allows person who has permit to carry a handgun to carry gun in place where alcohol is served for consumption on premises if person is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions.

HB3667 Allows any resident, who has a valid handgun carry permit, to possess his or her handgun while within the boundaries of any state park.

HB3014 Authorizes full-time faculty and staff at public schools, colleges, and universities in Tennessee to carry handguns if not otherwise prohibited by law.

I would urge any TN resident who wants to see these Bills adopted to call the members of the Committee and voice your support for the Bills.

Committee Members:

Janis Sontany 615-741-6861
Eddie Bass (615) 741-1864
Bob Briley 615-741-2184
Henry Fincher 615-741-1875
Judd Matheny 615-741-7448
Eric Watson 615-741-7799

If you live outside the (615) area code, you can dial 1-800-449-8366 and when prompted you can dial the last five digits of the Representative's phone number and be sent to the office you are calling.

Last edited:
Take a look at the following if you want to see the level the anti's have to go to fight common sense stuff like this:

gunguys.com on "logic"

Watch the video. Basically, they talk to a lot of drunk guys in bars and get one bar owner to say that if the laws goes through he's going to open a funeral parlor because there will be a lot of business. Interesting, as Colorado has allowed guns in bars since 2003 and it hasn't caused one single problem. I can even have a beer or two if I want (you can't be under the influence with a gun in Colorado, but that is not well defined) while armed.

But my favorite part is that they talk about logic like this:

Sen. Jackson has clearly failed at basic logic.

On one hand, Sen. Jackson said that although his legislation allowed armed citizens to enter a bar with a loaded and hidden firearm, patrons could not consume any alcohol.

Doug Jackson said that gun owners would obey the law and not drink. Isn't this a double standard?

Not in this universe. IT's a simple standard -- you can go into a restaurant servering alcohol, you just can't consume the alcohol. How could that be a double standard?

Doug Jackson, like all the rest of his misguided fellow gun zealots, then turns right around and says that "gun laws" don't work.

Well which is it Senator? Do "gun laws" work, or don't they?

Gun laws don't work to defend people from criminals, because they don't care about them. Gun laws DO work to restrict those of us who are law abiding and leave us unarmed.

Why can't they get that? Even if they don't agree with it, who's mind are they changing when they make such idiotic posts?

Everyone knows that armed gun owners are going to drink if they visit a bar. This is just one more tactic to permit deadly weapons in every possible public space whether it's churches, daycare centers, hospitals, schools, and college campuses.

So their logic is ...

If it is illegal to carry a CCW into a bar, CCW holders will honor that law and not enter the bar or not be armed.

If it is illegal to drink in a bar with a CCW, CCW holders will ignore that law and drink anyway.

I guess those of us with guns will follow extremely restrictive laws, but ignore less restrictive laws? Hmmmm.

Seriously ... is there any rational thought on the anti-gun side? The comedy central video isn't even funny (like the anti-gun video that compares the RKBA in America with a right to keep and bear suicide vests in Iraq) it's just stupid and condescending.

Yes, please please call if you are a TN resident. I'm not (kind of wish I was), but all my family lives there. Unfortunately, they are not very concerned w/ gun rights overall, but they probably will be more concerned if/when they lose them :-(

I am a tax paying Tennessee homeowner, and I will be calling each of these members. What should I say? Just that I support these bills and would encourage them to vote YES on them? I've never done this before - anyone wanna write me a short script? I don't wanna get stymied...

Call the reps. number and when the staff person answers

1. Tell them who you are and where you live.
2. Tell them you are calling about the bills being considered this week, (give
them the bill numbers).
3. Tell them you would appreciate their vote in favor of the bills.

That's all there is to it. They may want your phone number or email address so they can get back with you especially if the rep is your rep. Now make those calls.

Back