Tell Me The Good & Bad About Colt MIV Officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyned

I bought it used for a very good price but someone altered the trigger and it mis-extracted several times after the 1st box of shells. Local Gunny said extractor needed bent alittle...we'll see. The squeeze safety is non-operational also which concerns me. I fiqure the same guy who added the long trigger disconnected it. Can this be fixed easily? Send knowledge quick. What the correct name for my squeeze safety? Thanks ahead..Luckyned.

Grip safty proper name.Please get it fixed.
For a carry gun its an absolute to have it working.
Bob
PS Good luck with the gun

yeah its pinned, get a more extended grip safety, easy fast fire and much safer than no grip safety, check springs on short frames
also some after market extractors are too long , fun gun,:}

I believe that it is widely accepted that officer's models are less reliable than larger 1911s, with the exeption of the new bull barrel Kimbers, Wilson, and many other custom guns. I also believe that the recoil spring set up on the colt guns is a problem. I'm not interested in the small 1911s and I'm definitely not interested in Colt, those incompetent bastards.

Your grip safety should be an easy fix. The previous owner probably disabled it. Depending on how it was done, you may be able to reverse it, or you might have to purchase a new one.

I picked up a slightly used Officers ACP a couple of months ago. I had no need for it, but the price was right, so I bought it. After swapping out the dual recoil spring with a single 24# spring I've been amazed how reliably it shoots and with it's accuracy.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I would send it to Cylinder and Slide in Fremont, NE to replace the grip safety, install a full-length guide rod with fixed recoil spring (getting rid of the plug that fits over the double spring as it comes from the factory), and have them install a new trigger with sear and other parts. While it's there, you might want to consider better sights and maybe a new protective finish. This work is going to cost you a healthy chunk of change, but they will make your compact .45 a darn decent carry pistol for self-defense scenarios. Get their catalog first and see what they have to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back