Tell me more about these old S&W's

rshull07

Inactive
So my grandfather is starting to pass down his gun collection one at a time to myself and the other grandkids. So far I've gotten a Remmington 870 Wingmaster, a S&W Model 52-2 and most recently a S&W K22 Masterpiece.

The 52-2
54845ecaa0c0e7cf596bf98cf1f9b74f.jpg

And the K22
a1dbb8a9ba01d7d558636edeeee2f71b.jpg

All of these are in MINT condition...not a scratch on any of them. I'm still pretty new to gun collecting and I don't know much about the Smiths. I'm primarily looking to find the date of manufacture and just more info from someone who knows about these.

Should I fire them? Or just do my best to keep them minty fresh? And what's the best way to clean and store the handguns so that I'll be able to pass them down to the next generation?

Thanks!

The 52 and k-22 are easily $1,000 each, or more, in value, especially if you also have the original boxes, papers.

Best find a good appraiser and not rely on forum opinions as to value, what to do with them.

Ask your granddad how he kept them so pristine. He might even have an idea as to worth.

If you can post the Serial Numbers, i.e. C52XXX. Serial number of k-22 will be on the handle/butt of the gun; the 52 it should be on left side near where it's marked 52-2 such as 123XXX. Needn't post whole numbers, just letter prefix and first couple numbers.

Please reduce the size of your pictures. 1024 x 1024 is far too big.
Mint means unfired and exactly as they came out of the factory. Those are close. Are closer if they're unfired. Absolutely if they have the original boxes. If you shoot either and they have not been fired you will drop their value by half
A Smith 52 is a highly desired target pistol. Designed to shoot WC's only. One of 'em sold on Gunauction in 2010 for $1100.
A K22(really a Model 17) is/was what was used for bullseye before the advent of .22 pistols. Still in demand. Prices vary on the assorted auction sites(usually inflated a bit but gives you an idea of what stuff sells for) from a bit under a grand to well over 3 grand. Your's is in the grand neighbourhood.

Thanks for the info! I guess these aren't truly mint condition. I have fired the 52 but not the K22. I don't plan on ever selling these as their family heirlooms, so with that in mind I can take a hit on the overall value if that means I can go out and enjoy firing these guns.

My grandpa kept these so clean because they were very rarely used. I only ever saw them a few times while I was growing up and we never took these two to the range.

You lucky dog. Those are some nice treasures you've got there. The K22 looks like it would be from the mid 1950's. According an American Rifleman article S&W went from 4 screw to 3 screw in 1955 and changed the model number to (17) in 1957. So if you have a 3 screw K22 that would mean a production of around '55-'57.
I don't know much about model 52's but that one sure looks nice.
Have the been shot before? If not I would be torn myself as to whether I would shoot them. If they have been shot before I would definitely put a box or 2 through them every year or so and not worry about it.
I bet that K22 would shoot like a dream. That long barrel and Patridge front sight should make for a nice long distance target shooter.

52-2's were made from 1971 to 1993. It's designed to shoot 148gr. wadcutters.
8.375" barrels stated in 1958. If those are the original grips on your model 17 then it dates to post 1968.

Jim

Nice guns. Limited market for the 52 but the K22 is in great demand. Dunno about a grand for each, though. I see really nice K22s for $600-$700. Highest I've seen was $900 and it wasn't selling.

Go see Grandpa and thank him for his choice in firearms, the care he gave them through the years and for being your grandfather (any order will do). Then take him out for a burger and tell him a bit about you, your family or aspirations and reassure him his treasures are now your treasures. To me the weapons are priceless and a commercial value would not enter into my mind. I say this being a grandpa who is giving away over 150 firearms from my collections to grand kids and friends. I was invited to a neighbors on Thanksgiving, a 14 year old boy from rural Montana asked if I was still building AR's.....I took him over to my place ( with Dad's approval) and the boy selected a AR15....he was happy when I said it was his, I was ecstatic for the opportunity to make a young boy carry on in the appreciation of firearms. There comes a time in one's life when sharing the loaf of bread really becomes important, and if you did not already do so send Gramps a card thanking him.

K frame Smiths were made as five screw frames from 1905 until 1956/57. This was when they changed from named models to their numbering system. The K22 Masterpiece became the Model 17. Four screw frames were made from '57 until 1961. After that, all K frames were made in the three screw configuration. Five screw K22 Masterpieces are sought after nowadays, with the shorter barrels being more desirable.

K frame Smiths were made as five screw frames from 1905 until 1956/57. This was when they changed from named models to their numbering system. The K22 Masterpiece became the Model 17. Four screw frames were made from '57 until 1961. After that, all K frames were made in the three screw configuration. Five screw K22 Masterpieces are sought after nowadays, with the shorter barrels being more desirable.

Would a four screw also have diamond grips? My model 17 does and its serial number has 1959 as the manufacture year.

Would a four screw also have diamond grips? My model 17 does and its serial number has 1959 as the manufacture year

Diamond stocks were used through 1967 and I have no doubt that some completed guns that were made earlier, were shipped after '67 with diamond stocks.

I have a 1967 Model 19-2 with diamond target stocks and a '67 15-2 with diamond service stocks.

Oh, and I have a 1959 Model 29 no dash with diamond cokes.

And one more interesting fact, the earliest hand ejector models had four screw frames. the screw in front of the triggerguard was added in 1905.

Maybe its my age but I never considered the Model 52 as an OLD gun.

I got mine in the 70s as a Christmas Present for my self, and have shot the crap out of it every since. You arnt going to wear it out shooting WC target ammo.

Sweetest gun I ever shot, and I'll not part with mine even though I don't shoot Bullseye much any more.

I never had a K-22, but I have shot them, another sweet masterpiece from S&W.

--------------------------------------------------
Unrelated story about the M-52. A friend of mine was hanging around the gun section of a discount drug store (that sold everything). My friend mine you was one of the better shooters on the AK NG Pistol team)

A guy comes in with a 52 that he had just bought, Thought it was broke cause he couldn't get any 38 ammo to work in it. The clerk tried a different 38 ammo and also couldn't get it to work in the gun, thinking it defective decided to give the guys money back (neither knew anything about Wad Cutter guns.

My friend ask to see the pistol, looked it over and said he would give them $150 for the "defective gun" (they were selling for about $450 at the time), The clerk called the manager to ask about selling the "defective gun"

They decided to sell the gun with the understanding there would be no warranty involve. My buddy lays out $150 and walks away with the '52 and he's still shooting it today, some 40 years later.

In my opinion the Model 52 is the best gun S&W ever made.

I am of kraig's generation.
To me, those aren't "old S&Ws" they are good standard top of the line pistols. Hardly to be improved on.

I go to the gun shows.
People most often sell the bottom end of their collection.
Usually, you have to wait for someone to die to get pieces like this.

Attachments

• s&w gamma.jpg
    s&w gamma.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 34
You will really like shooting that long tube K-22. The long tube K frames balance much better than you would think and are more accurate than the shooter in most cases. Shoot, clean, repeat. Then you can give the gun to your grandkidz.

Congrats on acquiring two world class pistols and one of the most successful mass produced shotguns ever made. Shoot the hell out of them and remember what your grandfather means to you. I got a chance to check out a couple S&Ws made in the 70's a couple months ago which a friend had picked up. Why anyone would buy a new model today instead of going on Gunbroker and buying an older model from 30 years ago is way beyond me. If you ever think about selling either just send me a PM, both are very sweet.

New guns of similar type cost about the same as those are worth.
Maybe even more.
Since they have been shot some, why resist the temptation to keep on doing that?
Use them as intended.
I sure would.
Does your Grandpappy need any more grandkids?

Back