Tell me about the NEF .223

GreybeardB

Hi,
I'm new to TFL, have been reading the mail......quite a lot of excellent information here. I'm experienced in most high power rifle shooting and hand loading.
What I need is first-hand,personal experience from anyone who owns a .223 single,top break by New England Firearms.
Where is the best buy?, is it accurate?, Does it have any glitches?, is it scope ready?, how is the trigger?, things like that.
Thanks muchly,

------------------
Ralph in In.

Welcome aboard GreybeardB,
My rifle was the short bull barrelled version and I only sold it to make room for the Low Wall Browning is selling. It was more accurate than either my HBAR AR15 or my Remington 700 ADL, believe it or not. I won several bets from people who didn't think a $135 rifle could outshoot their $500 model. The trigger was fine. Go ahead and buy a hammer extension as soon as you buy it because when you scope it will be necessary. The only negative thing I can remember was extraction. Clean the chamber extremely well before shooting it for the first time and keep it that way. Extraction is iffy when the rifle had too many rounds run through it between cleaning. Yes I do regret selling that one.

[This message has been edited by CapeFear (edited June 28, 1999).]

I bought one for my son and cut it down to carbine length for him. It had one big flaw, the action would pop open when you fired it. Had to take it to a gunsmith to get that corrected.
Its ugly but accurate. A bargain at the price. Connor took two deer with that rifle at the ages of 6 and 7.
Just passed the little rifle to the son of a friend and replaced it with a TC Youth Carbine in .223. I hope he enjoys it as much as my son did.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back