tell me about the 10mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 10mm really became known when the FBI began searching for a more potent round than the 115 grain 9mm (Silvertip?). An infamous shootout between FBI agents and two heavily armed bank robbers in Miami (1984) inwhich agent's 9mm handguns failed to incapacitate the robbers right away (which is a little much to be asking of a handgun round!) The FBI looked into the 10mm, it was a .40 caliber bullet that, in some cases, could reach .44 magnum velocity and energy. This really excited the FBI, a hard hitting round that was very accurate and had a lot of energy down range. The draw back was that it created much felt recoil. Many female and small statured agents couldn't handle or shoot the weapons accuratly. The FBI went with a shortened cased 10mm, the .40S&W.

The 10mm is a great round, lots of power and very accurate. I love the Glock 20 because of the high firepower and durable design. I know a few guys who have taken many hog and deer with the 10mm. For self-defensive purposes, you can't go wrong with it. It has enough punch to get through automobile glass and doors and also heavily clothed bad guys. The guns are pretty big though, especially the Glock 20. Not too many manufacturers produce 10mm handguns these days. European American Arms makes a 10mm but I have never shot one yet. There is always the Bren Ten but good luck finding one and replacement magazines at that!

Ammunition prices have been on the rise here in Southern California (as a result of Y2K scares and a new assault weapons ban). I recently saw a box of Triton's for $14.99 but this is premium defesive ammo. You can find FMJ for $10.99 to $12.99 per box of 50.

In a nutshell...

With factory full power loads, it can push a 180gr bullet @1300 fps, or a 200 gr @ 1200. Too bad most of the big companys that make it are whipped into lite loading it to little more than 40S&Wlevels. It takes handloading to bring the cartridge to it's true potential. Some of the reloaders here can claim a 135 gr @1700 fps.

Con: Operates at higher pressures

Pro: In pistols such as the glock, where the 10mm and 45acp models have the same exterior dimensions, the 10mm barrel is thicker and more tolerant of hot loads than the 45acp.

Con: very penetrative, some will argue that this is a liability.

Pro: this penetration makes it better for hunting than some other autopistol calibers.

Con: Hard to find, you probably won't find it on your sporting goods store shelf unless you live in Alaska. Typically $14-$15 a box here when I can find it. However you can order via mail order from companies like Proload and Georgia Arms. I ordered 1000 rounds from GA for $180 (about $9 a box). Order more than $500 worth of ammo and they cover the shipping (saved me about $50).

Pro: Very versatile, if I only had one Glock, it would be in 10mm.

I got my G20C because I like having the power if I need it. The compensation makes it VERY controlable. Don't listen to those crybabies who complain about the recoil. If you can handle a 40S&W or a 45acp, you can handle a 10mm. For God's sake though don't get one in a 1911 style pistol.

My (very occasional) $0.02

For me, the biggest "con" of the 10mm is that the pistols chambered for it don't fit my hands or my needs. For instance:

Colt Delta Elite -- Overpriced and not sturdy enough to hold up to many 10mm full power loads.

Glock 20 -- Too big for my hands and hi-cap mags are $80+.

S&W 1006 -- Heavy and has two features I don't like: a magazine disconnector and a slide-mounted safety/decocker lever.

EAA 10mm Witness -- Questionable quality and a barrel too short to take full advantage of the 10mm's power.

The 10mm pistol of my dreams would be a single stack Glock with a 5" barrel. Or possibly a reinforced 1911-style... ?

Having read the other 10mm comments, let me offer my EAA 10mm experience. Mine is a well built, very "industrial" beast that has a great trigger is really accurate and a "blast" to shoot. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a heavy powerful accurate autoloader.

I have put about 4000 rnds through it and have had no problems to speak of. Very tolerant o reloads.

Great gun.

Pete

BrassShower:

re your comment " For God's sake though don't get one in a 1911 style pistol."

I've been reading over at Gunspot [www.gunspot.com], in the 1911 section, about 1911's in 10mm. Apparently, Richard Heinie, a true master 1911 builder, is a proponent of the 1911 in 10mm (along with .45 of course), as is 1911 builder Brian Bilby. Brian loves the 10mm...loaded up or down he says its great in the 1911... he builds them along with .45's.

The G20 interests me (esp since you apparently can get a .40S&W barrel for it i'm told). What do you know about the 10mm in 1911's that you don't like? Thanks.

In a Glock, you won't really notice its power, but whoever you aim at will, should that ever be the case. I think the 1911 10mm problems are worst in SS guns, due to galling. A custom smith could probably rectify whatever shortcuts Colt made (in a custom built from scratch) to give it a bad rep. The .45 Super doesn't seem to present much problem in 1911s.

A little corrective note about the FBI and the 10MM: they did accept the 10, but in a downloaded version that more approximated the 40S&W. I am not sure what they have gone to since, but the original 40 caliber that they bought after the Dade County incident was a mid range loaded 10mm. I also think that subsequent comments about women and small guys not being able to handle the recoil is a little sterotypical (even though I weigh about 220 and stand 6'2") as I have seen big guys that don't like recoil and petite women that handle it fine and everything in between. Jim

Brass shower, VDW: I bought a Delta Elite when they first came out. I put MMC sights on it, and a beavertail grip safety. Did a little trigger-smoothing, and polished the ramp. It shoots like a dream! I've only put maybe 500 rounds through it, but never a problem. Well, early Midway brass was a minor problem; too thin near the case-head.

I've read of alleged problems. If one likes the feel of the Colt, and prefers the SA trigger, it seems to me that it would be simple to treat it like the alloy Commander: Use light loads for pleasure and plinking, and reserve the heavy stuff for social use.
I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of putting thousands of rounds through one's social gun, anyway. With respect to the Delta Elite, then, an answer is to pick up an old clunker Govt model, enjoy rebuilding it and setting it up identical to the D.E. Then, do the "beating up" with the ex-clunker...

FWIW, Art

It's ballistically like a .41 mag in an auto. It absolutely blows away the 40 Short & Weak etc. It is one of the best powerful rounds in a decent sized handgun. The 44 mag desert eagle is way bigger for only a little more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back