Tell me about snap caps

Hotboy

I was reading someone recommending to put snap caps in a revolver when practicing decocking. But earlier on I read where guys were dry firing the revolver.

What is (are) the reason(s) for using snap caps? The only thing I can think of is that they somehow protect the chambers when dry firing. What's wrong with dry firing without anything in the chambers?

Thanks!

The snap caps supposedly protect the firing pin. They keep it from coming to a sudden stop. They cushion it somewhat. It is widely debated if they are needed. I figure they are cheap and it can't hurt so you might as well use them when you think about it. They also work good for failure to fire drills.

Michael Goeing

Read your instruction manual . . .

Some revolvers, Ruger GP-100s for example, specifically do NOT require snap caps when dry firing.

I use a new brand of snap caps called "A-Zoom". They are aluminum snap caps and work extremely well.

a-zoom.jpg

A-Zoom's website. http://www.a-zoom.com

If you don't want to invest in snapcaps, there are a couple other options. Some people use a spent shell casing. Others will knock out the primer and fill a spent casing's primer hole with silicone.

A-zoom snap caps....cool...

Just bought a Taurus 85, the manual said to NOT dry fire....I just load up with A-Zooms and fire away.....no broken parts...;)

Mike M.

A-Zoom, the best snap caps on the market. A small price to pay, by knowing for sure you are not doing any damage to your weapon.

Snap Caps?

Once I was dry firing a lever action rifle, practicing follow-up shots on the TV screen. When next I went to the range, the rifle failed to fire.

The firing pin was broken.

When I asked my local smith, he said that some weapons shouldn't be dry-fired without something for the pin to "hit". Otherwise the action falls forward with nothing to cushion the fall.

Since then I have bought snap caps for all my firearms, I use them to practice loading/unloading, speed reload, failure-to-feed, and dry-fire drills.

Anyway, I figure they're safer to practice with than live ammo!

-Leadpumper

I use those red plastic snap caps you can get from Dillon's catalogue. I like them except for the fact that you get small particles of brass coming off the "primer". It seems that once the firng pin craters the "primer" the raised edge rubs against the shield and wears off, more annoying then anything else.

Thanks for the replies. I am planning to buy a Ruger GP-100, so this question may be academic, but...

Are snap caps reusable? Or do you use them once and throw them away?

I've fired a GP-100 rental that had a smooth trigger pull from all the use. Comparing it to the trigger pull of the new one I looked at makes me want to pull the trigger a few thousand times to smooth out the action.

If I'm not mistaken, the A-Zoom caps are anodized aluminum, the "primer" is some kind of hard plastic....they shouldn't break....I paid around 20 bucks for mine at gun shop........

Mike M.

They are intended to be used many hundreds of times. Even if your manufacturer says they are not needed, better safe than sorry.

You can use 'em until the pits in the primer get so deep that they no longer cushion your firing pin. IOW, when the pits in the "primer" of your snap caps start to look like the pits in fired primers, then replace.

Might be a good place to note that concealed hammer Smith&Wessons (640,642 etc.) DO need snap caps. Broke my 640's firing pin after less than 50 dry fires because I didn't know that.

Snap caps

Tried 'em. Don't like 'em.

Got two Rugers so I could do unlimited dry firing with no risk of damage to the gun.

Back