Tell me about Gold Dots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bull

It seems that many people that really know their stuff about bullets get past the fancy and trendy big names and go the plain old Gold Dot.
I hear that Speer has put out a great video on why their bullet is the best. Could some people out there that are knowledgable please tell me why Gold Dots have such an underground following by seemingly knowledgable people. I know NOTHING about them.

Also, a cheap source to buy some would be great.

Thanks!

Hello. I've used Gold Dots in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP with good luck. They are Speer's "designer" bullet to compete with Golden Saber, HydraShok, etc. They work well. These bullets' lead cores are bonded to their jackets so that separation is almost impossible. Because of that, they expand and tend to hold together rather than fragment as other bullets can do. A friend in Texas' Department of Public Safety told me that they adopted the Speer 125 gr .357 SIG for duty use because of the bullet performance both in "soft" targets and because of its ability to defeat sheet steel and laminated windshields as their deadly force scenarios can involve automobiles a large percentage of the time.
I've handloaded Gold Dots and gotten reliable feeding, decent accuracy, and in my tests as well, their bullets work well. Best.

i built a wooden trough once and filled it full of freezer bags full of water. i then experimented shooting different loads of 9mm and recapturing the bullets.
the gold dot 124 grain expanded to 1/2 inch, with a nice peel back effect.
good ammo!
(also i don't care what anybody says,new hollow point 9mm ammo is good for self defense!)

Gold Dot is just a well engineered bullet that demonstrates reliable terminal performance. Steve Camp did a good job explaining it's construction.

From what I hear, Federal's Tactical HydraShok also uses a bonded jacket. But Federal restricts sales to law enforcement only so I haven't bothered looking into it's performance or to request samples for testing.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

<a href="http://www.proload.com">Pro Load</a> ammo is using Gold Dot also, I beleive. I've heard nothing but raves for Pro Load, but haven't had opportunity to try them yet.

I've used Gold Dot ammo from Ga. Arms in 357mag and 45ACP with excelent results. Good ammo for cheap. My 2 cents.
Hiker

I've shot Gold Dots from Ga. Arms in .38+P, .45ACP, and 9mm. I haven't been through a lot of the Gold Dots (hey, that would get expensive! Of course, if everyone sent me a box of ammo, I'd be happy to do some testing... ;) ), but I've never had a single problem with any of them. Needless to say, it's what I keep in my carry gun (124 gr. .38+P).

To Red Bull:

Just finished two extensive reports and had a minute to comment.

> It seems that many people that really know their stuff about bullets get past the fancy and trendy big names and go the plain old Gold Dot.

The Gold Dot isn’t so plain! It’s a very well-thought-out design -- good cavity size, internal scores, dead-soft copper plating tenaciously bonded to a soft lead core (plus, good factory muzzle velocity). Your classic, efficacious combination. The inventors, Steve Moore, Dave Imthurn and Brett Olin are obviously all sharp guys. I met Steve at the INS Ballistic Protocol *Symposium. Had dozens of conversations with Brett (worked closely with him on their in-house .22 Quik-Shok dies, mfg. Process, etc.). Never had the pleasure of working with Dave Imthurn, however.

Like most bullets, the Gold Dot achieves only limited success with some hard barriers such as windshield glass (possibly the worst test material extant). The only thing I disagree with Blount on is its test procedure when comparing the Gold Dot to Hydra-Shok. Whenever their law enforcement demo’s are performed, they always shoot the Gold Dot into a fresh gel block first. Once the block is fractured (i.e. offering less target resistance), they fire the Hydra-Shok. Advantage….Gold Dot. Same thing with glass, except the pattern is reversed -- Hydra-Shok first, when the glass is at maximum strength (when maximum bullet attrition is inevitable)…then the Gold Dot. Advantage - Gold Dot. This is standard operating procedure which can be witnessed by anyone on this board. Federal should be flattered that this type of agendum has to be employed. Still, it doesn’t help Federal sales. Even though Blount owns Federal (at least temporarily...who knows what the Caterpillar acquisition will bring), there appears to be a great deal of rivalry between the two companies.

*This is the symposium in which a handful of individuals were invited to participate in establishing a new INS gelatin test protocol. The participants actually contributed both collectively and on an individual basis.

Tom Burczynski

Red Bull:

Give ProLoad a try. Good prices, free shipping, and if you're outside the state of ID, you pay no tax.

From personal experience, I have to say that their ammmo is extremely accurate and reliable.

A clip from their homepage:

"From the toughest nickel plated brass, Speer
Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point bullets and powders specially selected for clean burn and
maximum flash suppression, we have carefully crafted the ultimate in ammunition for personal defense or law enforcement."

Good luck. Choices abound!

Lock and Load!

BC
NRA Life

Disclaimer:
I am in no way affiliated with nor compensated by ProLoad.

[This message has been edited by BC (edited August 26, 1999).]

Tom;

Thanks for the great post on the Gold Dot. I'm sure everyone on TFL appreciates you shareing your expertise on such matters.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back