tell me about Colt SV-I

sox

What do you guys know about this snubby. In particular, weight, reliability, dates of manufacture and current prices/availability.

SF-VI

I believe you are talking about the Colt SF-VI snubby. The "S" stands for stainless, "F" is frame and "VI is the Roman numeral for six, refering to the number of 38 cal rounds it can hold in the cylinder. It was made for a few years, and replace with the "Magnum Carry" which is the 357 cal model. I have the Magnum Carry. You will notice the trigger is very sharp and after numerous rounds, it begins to hurt. I had to remove the trigger and file down the sharp edges. I don't believe it is up to the workmanship of the older Colt Detective Specials (in my opinion)The lockwork of the old detective special was hand fitted and was costing Colt to much to make, making them less competative in the market. The lockwork of the DS was similiar to the Python. However the SF-VI retains the famous "second hand" and the leaf spring for the main spring. It has a frame mounted firing pin, very different from S&W I might add. I think the snubby feels awfully well balanced. It's barrel crown is recessed, to protect againt damage. mine seems to be very accurate.
I quess you can tell, I have a thing for Colt revolvers.
I hope this helps you out some.

SF-VI

Sorry, I failed to answer these questions on my first reply. You asked for weight 21oz, price in Va area $275-$325, dates of manufacture 1996-1998(approx), very reliable, but has a some what weak trigger return spring that might cause you to short stroke it, if you are used to S&W products. 7 inches long. It did come in black stainless when special ordered. A bobbed hammer was also available.
Hope this helps also.

[Edited by 4thHorseman on 02-26-2001 at 09:53 PM]

Colt SF-VI

4th Horseman covered it very well. I have both a third gen detective special and a SF-VI. I would compare the detective special to a Python and the SF-VI to a King Cobra. Beauty and the beast. My SF-VI has a bobbed hammer and wears a pair of Eagle Secret Service rosewood grips. Other than the sharp edges it is a great pocket gun. Very small and consealable. A dehorn job and a large tritium front sight and it might be the best pocket revolver going........Mike

Thanks guys, Timujin do you a picture? I gotta Taurus 85UC I am looking to trade for one of these If I can find one in the Atlanta area. Best.

Back