Tell me about Colt Peace Keeper

Not at that price. My 2 year old Standard Catalog list one new in the box at $300.00.

These are matt black "plain Jane" version of the Trooper Mark 3/Mark IV.
Would make a great plinker, or anything else you'd want.
Nice guns and strong as hell, but that's a bit too much for a used one.

The Peacekeeper is matte finish Trooper Mk V. It was introduced in the mid-'80s around the same time that Colt introduced other economy grade handguns like the Agent (based on the Cobra), Commando (based on the Detective Special), and the matte Officers ACP. The Trooper Mk V and Peacekeeper didn't last long after Colt introduced King Cobra, roughly the same frame and action with a full underlug barrel.

FWIW: The only Mk V variant which might demand collector pricing are the limited production Boa. The Boa were Mk V frames fitted with a Python barrel, finished in Royal Blue, and given a seperate serial number run from BOA1 to BOA1200.

BTW: When someone mentions problems with Colt Troopers, it is important to note the vintage. The earliest models were the E-frame with the firing pin attached to the hammer. The rest of the lockwork was shared with their younger and more handsome stable-mate, the I-frame Python. Late production E-frames were equipped with the Python's frame-mounted firing pin.

The J-frame Mk III had a simplified lockwork powered by coiled springs instead of the V-springs of the E-frames. The idea was to simplify construction and reduce costs. The Mk V shortened the hammer throw, altered the grip frame, and introduced a few other improvements over the Mk III design.

I had (have) two pass through my hands.

First one was O.K, didn't have much experience with it. Gave it to my father for his Law Enfocement career (reserve cop). Just had to replace it. Second one had a terrible double-action trigger pull. Took it to a gunsmith, and then it had unreliable ignition. Still have it though, maybe I'll find someone who can make it good.

I will say this; best feeling grips out of the box of any handgun I have ever owned.

The simplified coil springs and lockwork of the later Colts not only made production easier, it was designed with a lesser skilled labor force in mind. It requires craftsmen to correctly assemble and time the older Colts and as Bob Dunlap (of Lassen College fame) told us, the newer Colts were made so, "blind high school dropouts on drugs" could put them together.

I bought one new in 1986 for $320 which was the suggested retail. I was young and dumb and didn't know any better. I should have paid a lot less. It also had timing problems. $400 is WAAAAAY too much. I would look for a better deal. You can buy a new Ruger or Taurus for less than $400.

Back